Monday, August 20, 2007


This 2 1/2 year old MONSTER is my granddaughter Isabelle. I was out on the deck reading the newspaper and she thought she should be reading it with me.

Another story about my summer vacation.

California is such a lovely place... as long as you don't have to live there, drive there, breathe the air there and a few other mentionables that I won't mention. We have not been back to California for a few years and living in our little one horse town we forget what it was like there. The first town we stopped in reminded us very quickly why we left.

Coming from New Mexico we took highway 40 to Barstow, CA. In Barstow we decided to gas up and get something to eat. The whole length of our trip we had paid for our food with our bank card and never encountered a problem. Not so in California. Nope, in Barstow we went to Taco Belle, ordered our food as usual and when I went to pay for it with my bank card I was informed it would cost me $1.65 extra to use it. Shocked, I told them to keep their food and I would go elsewhere, all this time thinking that Taco Belle was really a clip joint. We walked across the stree to Burger King, (we eat in only high class restaurants)and found the same thing there. To use the bank card would cost us extra money. Needless to say we did not eat in Barstow or anywhere else until we arrived at our kid's place.

To use the card at a gas station cost extra money. I swear California has many ways of sticking it to you. It is so good to be back in Idaho.

That is another story about our vacation. The next time I blog I will tell the story about the U-Haul trailer... that one is a good one.

Closing for now. Hope everyone is well and happy. Dana, I only caught one fish so far this summer. Too much pain to go fishing. Now the resevoirs are so low and streams have dried up that just to find the water is a job in its own right let alone fish in the water. Oh well..............

Have a nice day everyone.

13 comments:

Still just me said...

I love the name Isabell, and what a beautiful little girl to go with the name.

darkfoam said...

i hate it when they do that...
charge extra for using a card that is basically like cash.
that is a precious granddaughter you have there.
..and i left you a comment down below.
and now i really have to go back to work.

Lowa said...

She is SO CUTE!

Yeah, our dumb bank keeps on locking our account once we get out of the country and use our card. Really sucks when you are stuck somewhere trying to get gas and you are hungry and can't get cash OR use your debit card. They think since there is activity in another country that maybe it is stolen. We have told them NUMEROUS times that we travel to Canada quite often and need to have our card. Yet EVERY TIME they do this. *sigh* At least you had a choice, we are stuck with nothing. We have been thinking of getting a Canadian bank account so that when we go up, we can just use IT.

Good times, eh??

Pamela said...

granddaughters are precious --- be blessed!!

as for the extra amount on the card... I can tell you that it is a fee that they pass on from whatever vendor they are using for their "point of sale"... pin use.

I've seen it here in Washington State at McD(--)lds and others.

Pamela said...

ps. to Iowa
It isn't the bank ...it is an automated security program that all the bank employs.

Jeanette said...

you little granddaughter looks so relaxed reading poppy's paper,

Lowa said...

Hi Pamela! We live in the same state:)

Oh, I know it is automatic. What I guess I did not make clear is that we keep on asking them to change it so that it won't do that and they keep on telling us they will. Then they don't! Very inconvenient!

I have bookmarked your blog, it looks wonderful!

Tigersue said...

I guess the californians have figured out how to make up for the extra charge in using cards! What a ripoff.

Ms. Kathleen said...

The only thing I miss about California is the beaches. I sure wish we had an ocean near South Dakota! Now, wouldn't that be loverly!

darkfoam said...

u okay?

Alice (in BC Canada) said...

Cute kid! Where'd she get it from?? She adopted?? hahaha

Hi Irish! It's been awhile since you made this post. I hope you are doing well. I'm keeping very well, though very busy. Take care of you.

Gwen said...

Hi Jim.
Just popped in to see how things were with you and yours
Loved the photo of your G/daughter.

Gwen said...

Hi again "TIM"
Sorry about the name I'm getting my men mixed up lately,and if I'm not careful it will get me into trouble. Ha! Ha!