Monday, June 09, 2008

Cheryl says this picture is her and I. Now I never considered myself to be a moose and I certainly would not call Cheryl one... a bear maybe but not a moose.`

Our trips are over and we are both still recovering. Cheryl's trek was a lot of fun, very wet, a little cool, and provided more than it's share of blistered feet. Instead of the porta-potty she rode in the covered wagon and helped drive the horses. Oh yeah, I can just see her driving a team of very large horses, especially knowing she is afraid of horses a little bit. She did more than her share of walking which upset me greatly, although I didn't say much, because she enjoyed it so. Prior to this trek the doctor had explicitly told her not to be walking due to her heart condition, but like most women she didn't listen.

My trip was quite enjoyable also. I took students from three different high schools to Moscow, ID for an FFA convention. (Pam is that very close to where you live?) It rained all the time we were there and all the way back home. The first day some of the kids went river rafting and the rapids were quite high which brought many a squeal both of delight and fear. We were following in the bus and watching, plus being a little envious that I couldn't be out there with them. The cost was $40.00 per person so not too many could come up with that kind of money. We also visited Dworshak dam which was kind of interesting.

The drive up was very tiring but the drive back was a killer. The advisor's didn't want to stop for hardly anything and it is a solid 11 hour drive with some interesting hills, passes, winding roads and etc. Whine, whine, whine. Needless to say I was VERY tired when I got home that morning.

I just read Pam's blog about childhood memories. Loved it. Tonight we are having a group of people over and that is what we are going to talk about so Pam couldn't have posted a better blog at a better time. Some of my childhood memories are:
1. Fresh bread or rolls
2. Barnyard smells (I don't know if that is a good memory though.:))
3. Water running in a creek bed nice and clear and tasty.
4. The smell of the horse, the creak of the saddle, the freshness of the morning.
5. Music. Playing my trumpet in band, orchestra, pep band, dance band.
6. Shooting my old 22 rifle and becoming a pretty fair shot.
7. Riding or climbing in the mountains to see what I could see.
8. The smell of pine wood burning in a camp fire.
9. Laying out on the lawn at night and watching the stars. Wondering if aliens were coming to get me. (Invaders From Mars scared the by gollys out of me.)
10. Thanksgiving when all the relatives from my father's side would gather for the meal.

OK, OK, enough of this prattle. By the way Foam old bud, are those pictures on your blog self portraits or what? MERCY WOMAN!!! (I liked them)

My driving days are through for a couple of months so maybe I can get some things done that have been neglected. I kept hoping that lazy Cheryl would get out there and do my work but she didn't see it that way. I'm just kidding about her being lazy. We both know who the lazy one is in this household and it isn't her. The cat and dog are both dead so they can't be blamed for anything. That leaves just me. Oh well, guess I'll go eat worms.

Have a nice day everyone.

5 comments:

Still just me said...

I used to lay out in the yard, looking at stars, and thinking about aliens too. The only problem was that I would spook myself so much, I would go running back into the house!

darkfoam said...

i used to go kayaking and then go lay out under the stars and night hoping to see shooting stars.
and nooooooo, those are not self-portraits .. lol ..

Pamela said...

yes -- family reunions another great memory.

not only lying in the grass -- but how about standing out there in the middle of the night -- watching for sputnik?
or a mountain lion mimicking a woman crying in the woods, as you shiver in fear OR excitement listening on the back porch.

And Invaders from mars scared the solar system out of me, too.

The Ramblin Irishman said...

Cyndi, good to hear from you. Big chicken running back in the house.:))

Foam, shooting stars were absolutely on the menu at night. There was a young lady kayaking on the Lochsa river through those rapids and she was gooooood. Like watching a cork bobbing.

Pam, watching for sputnick. I forgot all about that. No mountain lions although they were in the mountains. Just cows mooing all night.

Jeralee said...

In High School, we took and Honor's Society Trip to Moscow, ID on a bus. It was a LONG drive. Makes me tired just thinking about it.

Loved hearing about your memories. Pine does smell pretty good.