Thursday, February 01, 2007


Isn't this a beautiful picture? It is entitled "God's Painting". I cannot remember who sent it to me but I thank you very much and hope everyone enjoys it.

I took the wrestling team to a meet yesterday and witnessed something that I really had hoped I would never witness. One team in the competition had two young ladies who were wrestling. Now before I get judged too harshly let me say I have no problem with women wrestling, but, I do draw the line with them wrestling on a boy's team and against other boys. If the desire is there so much then start a women's wrestling division. One of the boys from our team had to compete against one of the females; it was pathetic. He took her down in no time flat and put her in a head lock that about took her head off.

I found out that our young man did not want to wrestle but the rules state that if he did not then he, and possibly the whole team, would not be eligible to participate in the district tournament. What a sham and what a disgrace. Both girls were beaten so easily and so badly that they both ran off the mat and disappeared. Maybe it is just me that the whole scenario just seems so wrong.

Schaumi mentioned that she was getting snow where she lives. I hope it holds off here for two more days. I have a run that goes across two mountain passes and it would be nice for good roads, however, if it doesn't happen... oh well.

This might be my last post for this week since I leave for an overnighter tomorrow. (The mountain trip) I actually am looking forward to it to see my sister who lives in Star Valley, Wyoming. It always makes it nicer when Cheryl goes along so I can have someone to pick on... er... I mean hang out with.

Have you ever woke up in the night and started thinking what you would write about on your blog? I do that every now and again but can never remember what it was when I set down to the computer. Hmmmmm, old age I guess. Speaking of old age you might enjoy the following.
***********************************************************************************

I 'm over 65 and the Armed Forces say I'm too old to track down terrorists. (You can't be older than 35 to join the military.)

They've got the whole thing backwards. Instead of sending 18-year-olds off to fight, they ought to take us old guys. You shouldn't be able to join a military unit until you're at least 35.

For starters:
Researchers say 18-year-olds think about sex every 10 seconds.

Old guys only think about sex a couple of times a day, leaving us more than 28,000 additional seconds per day to concentrate on the enemy.

Young guys haven't lived long enough to be cranky, and a cranky soldier is a dangerous soldier. If we can't kill the enemy we'll complain them into submission. "My back hurts! I'm hungry! Where's the remote?"

An 18-year-old hasn't had a legal beer yet and you shouldn't go to war until you're at least old enough to drink. The average old guy, on the other hand, has consumed 126,000 gallons of beer, and a jaunt through the desert heat with a beer and an M-60 would do wonders for the old beer belly. (Note there are 24 hours in a day and 24 bottles in a case...another convenient way to measure time!)

An 18-year-old doesn't like to get up before 10 a.m.
Old guys always get up early to pee.

If captured we couldn't spill the beans because we'd forget where we put them. In fact, name, rank, and serial number would be a real brainteaser.

Boot camp would be easier for old guys. We're used to getting screamed and yelled at and we like soft food. We've also developed an appreciation for guns. We like them almost better than naps.

They could lighten up on the obstacle course however. I've been in combat and didn't see a single 20-foot wall with rope hanging over the side, nor did I ever do any pushups after completing basic training. I can hear the Drill Sgt now, "Get down and give me ... er . one."

Actually, the running part is kind of a waste of energy. I've never seen anyone outrun a bullet.

An 18-year-old has the whole world ahead of him. He's still learning to shave, to carry on a conversation, and to wear pants without the top of his butt crack showing and his shorts sticking out. He's hasn't figured out that a pierced tongue catches food particles, and that a 400-watt speaker in the back seat of a Honda can rupture an eardrum, and that a baseball cap has a brim to shade eyes, not the back of his head.

These are all great reasons to keep our kids at home to learn a little more about life before sending them off into harm's way.

Let us old guys track down those dirty rotten cowards who attacked us on September 11. The last thing an enemy would want to see right now is a couple of million old farts with attitudes.

Share this with your senior friends. It's purposely in big type so you can read it.

WHERE’S MY M-1?
***********************************************************************************

Have a nice day everyone.

14 comments:

..................... said...

hey great post.
i like all your reasons for not sending 'children' to war.

umm. just a minute..
my 9 year old just proudly showed me his "robotic foot" which is wrapped up in duc tape. he duc taped his bare foot...
our snow peetered out into rain. and of course the children are home and apparently bored....sigh..

anywho, an old army could be very scary...maybe we should also include menopausal women?

but really, i'm ready for all of them to be home...

Pamela said...

the same can be said for us old women... we retain water.
the only thing different between me and a pit bull is.. uh.. lipstick.
...

and I could sit on the enemy until he guesses my weight.. and if he dare guess it I'll kill him.

whew. hot flash.

Jeanette said...

Hi Tim couldn't agree more with you on women wrestling with boys. why do they need to do it why cant girls be girls.

Still just me said...

Beautiful picture, very calm, very serene.

Alice (in BC Canada) said...

You and I definitely are getting the same emails around the same time. Within a few days either way of seeing the pictures you post, I got 'em in an email. Small world.

I love the points you make on the ages of soldiers... oh, so true. The old soldiers could take out their false teeth... now that would be scary.

Schaumi has a good point... include menopausal women, or women with PMS! They retain enough water to survive in the desert for several days, and you do not want to make one mad.

OMG... I am reading the other comments as I type mine and I LOVE Pamela's... "the only thing different between me and a pit bull is.. uh.. lipstick." Now I'm laughing my face off over the rest of Pamela's comment... too funny!

Alice (in BC Canada) said...

I'm baaaccckkk! Haha. Just popped back in to tell you I hope you have a really great trip this weekend, and that the snow stays off the roads for you.

BTW... I've been catching up on your last few posts as I was behind :o( And I left you some comments back there :o)

..................... said...

yes, pamela's comment is a hoot.

Gwen said...

Hi Tim..
That sure was a beautiful picture to start your blog.
I agree wrestling is no sport for girls,but then again Tim I have wrestled with a few boys in my time. He! He!
Stay Well

Jo said...

Wrestling, discrimation these days they call it if they dont let the girls join in.
Crap I say, I hate wrestling fullstop.

Tigersue said...

What a lovely picture. I usually think about things to blog just as I'm going to bed and then I forget about it in the morning. :)

Shaz said...

Beautiful picture & very funny post Tim x x

Donna said...

Hi Tim,great comments about sending our young off to war.
Nice pic as well

Donna

Dana a/k/a Sunshine said...

Love the picture, but I do love Pamela's comment more - freaking hilarious!!! Sorry I haven't visited in a while. I need to catch up. I don't agree with the girls wrestling the boys either....something is just WRONG about that.

Merle said...

Hi Tim ~~ Loved the picture and have even printed it. Like everyone else
I don't like girls wrestling and sending young people to war. Or even old people !! It would be really
wonderful if no one went to war.
So glad you enjoyed The Bell, it was a lovely story. My shopping spree consisted of grocery and food shopping and getting a prescription filled. Real exciting !!
Take great care on the roads Tim and stay safe. Cheers, Merle.