Monday, December 03, 2007



My daughter in Provo sent me an email telling about her Christmas decorations. She supposedly sent a picture to show me what they look like but this is the only picture I could find. Maybe she moved and didn't tell me she was living in red neck country. Actually I think these are the decorations around Foams house.:)

I took the Jr. High girl's basketball team on a trip last week and I just have to share some of the comments I would hear coming from behind me.

Girl 1: " Hey, if you tell me who you love I will tell you who I love."

Girl 2: " I'm not telling."

Girl 1: "Oh, come on. Okay I will tell you who I love. I love Jimmy, Johnny, Dusty, and oh, yeah, Tom."

Girl 2: "Okay, I will tell you who I love." The list is formulated and this list was longer than the first.

Cracked me up just listening to them. Then they get telling stories about their Dad's when they are at home. They never speak about their Mom's in this manner. Hmmmmmmmm.

Girl 1: "My Dad walks around the house in his underwear."

Girl 2: "So does my Dad and it is so gross."

Girl 3: "My Dad picks his nose while reading the paper."

Girl 1: "So does my Dad and THAT is very gross."

The conversations continue for at least 10 minutes telling all the little details about their Dad's.

You never know what kid's are perceiving about you. They got talking about kissing one day and the next thing I hear is, "Hey, Mr. Bus Driver. Tell us about your first kiss." My reply, "I don't think so." Then the pleading and whining starts but thank goodness I had 5 kids of my own, well six with Cheryl, and I can resist that sort of intimidation very well. I am NOT talking about my first kiss.

I used to be a custodian for our church and one day at dinner time I decided to eat my lunch in the kitchen. There were a group of mother's in the building involved in some sort of activity and of course their little darlings were running all over the place. For some reason all the kids migrated to the kitchen, where I was having lunch, and started talking to me about this and that and everything under the sun. Suddenly the talk turned to parental punishment and stories were being told of how each one's parents would discipline them. One little girl made the comment, "My Mom just beats the crap out of me." I thought to myself, "I have to see who this abusive parent is."

When it came time for the mother's to take their children home all the kids were still in the kitchen with me. I watched very closely for the "mean" one. Not being able to spot which one she was I asked all the mothers who was the parent to this child. One very sweet, very timid woman responded that she was and wanted to know why. I told her that I was informed that she "beats the crap out her child". I thought she was going to have a coronary on the spot. The other mothers started laughing like crazy. The poor woman was sooooooo embarrassed. Turns out that she is the most unlikely to have a mean bone in her body. Funny how kids interpret our actions.

Kids give me a lot of laughter while I am transporting them, yet I am sure that many of you would not see them as quite so funny. I probably wouldn't either if they were my own kids. Coming home from the game I had about six or seven of them standing around me singing Christmas songs in full volume. I was beginning to wonder if I had created a montster when I encouraged them to sing Christmas songs.

Well, I have been up for about two hours and it is time for my morning nap.

Have a nice day everyone.

6 comments:

Jeralee said...

Thanks for the laughs this morning Tim! I totally needed it!

darkfoam said...

hey....
how did you get a photo of my house..;/.......;)

..and yes, it's interesting what comes out of the mouth's of children. i hear all kinds of doozies all week long.
my favorite ... "my momma/pappa is gonna kill me"..
yet, every week the little darlings are back.

Pamela said...

you just never know what a "crap beater" is going to look like.

I think I chased my kids with a wooden spoon ONCE, and now when they talk about it you would think I did it every day when I got home from work.

Jeanette said...

Oh Tim, this is a great post with lots of laughter,,,

Avry said...

Laughing hysterically of the picture.. that is provo for you! hahaha..

..................... said...

merry christmas, irishman..