Tuesday, November 15, 2005

My daughter Katherine (Kate)


This is a picture of my daughter Kate and her children when they came to visit us in Idaho Falls, Idaho. Now when she was named at birth her name was Katherine but having trouble with all the letters and keeping them straight she shortened her name to Kate so she could handle it better. She knows when it is her father calling her place of business because I always ask for Katherine which lets her know it is me.

Now Katherine is one of those people who will take molehills and make mountains out of them. This isn't so bad most of the time but at other times it will get her in a bit of trouble. She also has a tendency to get excited over the smallest details and become agitated about them. So I nicknamed her "Huff and Puff". Whenever she would get going strong I would start going around the room going, "Toot, toot." Then I would puff like a locomotive.

Katherine gets on her soap box every now and then and at times it has caused great merriment in our home. One year my boys and I went out rabbit hunting. Before we left she raked us over the coals about killing "Thumper" and how she hated eating anything that cute and cuddly. While hunting we managed to get six rabbits to bring home for a meal. Instead of cooking them up right away Mom put them in the freezer for another time.

My wife is an excellent cook as witnessed by my saggin body. This day, unbeknown to Katherine, Mom took the rabbits out, cooked them up, and then made a pot of creamed noodles to which she added the rabbit meat. We all watched as the meal was dished out. Katerine took a good portion and began eating while making a comment to her mother how good it was. I could not help myself. I started thumping my foot on the floor like a rabbit would. I thought my boys would die from laughter. Katherine looked at us and asked what was the matter. "Nothing," was the innocent reply. She downed that plate and asked for more. I asked her if she liked it and she said she really did. While eating her second plate I started scratching my ear like a rabbit would. The boys were laughing so hard they could not eat. Again she asked us what was so funny and we denied everything and anything. She downed her second plate and asked for more commenting again to her mother what a delicious meal it was. As she was eating her third portion I started twitching my nose, as best I could, like a rabbit. The boys were just rolling now and slow as she is Katherine realized something was not right here. Looking at her plate and then back at me she literally yelled, "Is this rabbit meat?" By now even Mom was laughing and no one could keep a straight face. Realizing what she was eating Katherine yelled again, "I don't like rabbit meat. You guys killed some rabbits!!!" Well duh!

Over the years we still have a good laugh reminding Katherine about how she hated eating rabbit. She is a good person though. Hard working, hot tempered, willing to help anyone and still huffs and puffs at times. She has had a hard life having lived with an abusive husband until she could take no more, trying to raise 4 children on her own, so what does the knothead do? She remarried a man with six children of his own and now she has 10 children. That would be enough to drive me to the looney bin.

I love each of my kids and they have been an honor to me. Sure they make mistakes like we all do but they are hard workers, loyal, and willing to help those in need. Now that I am an old man they can help my needs by helping me get a new motor for my boat. Hmmmmm, wrong kind of need I guess.

No comments: