Thursday, May 17, 2007


I am sure most of you have seen this picture. I received it the other day and was so impressed that the flag is made completely out of flowers, living flowers.

It just dawned on me that I have not posted since Monday. I thought it was just yesterday. My how time flies when you are having fun; by fun I mean weeding, watering, planting and all sorts of "honey do's".

I was driving down the road the other week, (in my bus), and was watching the flies hit the window. Self, I thought, what a great subject for a blog.

Have you ever noticed that when you clean your windows one of the first bugs to hit it is a big, yellow something or other and it always hits dead center of your line of site. That way you have to keep moving your head to look around the gooey mess splattered all over the place so you can see the road better.

I just love driving through where the bees are busy at work. Stupid bees. One would think they would have enough intelligence to stay sucking on a delicious flower as opposed to checking out the speeding vehicle coming down the road. Oh no, they have to call all their little buddies and make a mass suicide attack so the vehicle is amply covered in their body parts.

Then there are the black flies that are just bigger than a gnat. They like to pepper the windshield like rain drops only they don't wipe off quite as well. I had one the other day that committed suicide and died a very happy bug. He hit at the top of the window and slid all the way down to the bottom with a big grin on his face. It reminded me of cartoons.

I cannot quit this drivel without speaking about the wasps. They are sneaky. They watch for drivers who are coming down the road with their windows open and their arm hanging out. Usually the shirt sleeve is flapping and makes a great scoop for wasps to enter into the shirt. How do I know this? Well I am a victim you see. I was driving along in an 18 wheeler one day and all of a sudden I felt a sharp burning sensation on my back. Not only did I feel it once but a total of three times. I slammed on the brakes, jumped out of the cab and started undressing right there in the middle of the road. Sure enough, a wasp had entered my shirt and was having lunch at Delaney's cafe. Well the food was bad cause he was never heard from again.

Okay, enough of the bug talk. I was out watering the lawn yesterday morning when two very large hawks flew up on a pole fairly close to me and proceeded to have a conversation. It was awesome. Turned out that one had caught a mouse and wanted the other to have it. Beautiful birds.

Bored yet? I am in a mood and could go on for a while if you wish.
************************************************************************************
Just had this sent to me and thought I would share it. Good for those 40 or older and it even works in Australia.

Exercise for older adults.

Just came across this exercise suggested for older adults, to build muscle strength in the arms and shoulders. It seems so easy, so I thought I'd pass it on to some of my friends. The article suggested doing it three days a week. Begin by standing on a comfortable surface, where you have plenty of room at each side. With a 5-lb potato sack in each hand, extend your arms straight out from your sides and hold them there as long as you can. Try to reach a full minute, and then relax. Each day, you'll find that you can hold this position for just a bit longer.

After a couple of weeks, move up to 10-lb potato sacks.

Then try 50-lb potato sacks and then eventually try to get to where you can lift a 100-lb potato sack in each hand and hold your arms straight for more than a full minute. (I'm at this level)

After you feel confident at that level, put a potato in each of the sacks.
************************************************************************************

Have a nice day everyone.

5 comments:

darkfoam said...

my, what big bugs you have up there someplace in the cold, cold north.
oh, since i don't consider myself an /err/ older adult....tsk...just the thought of that...... i'm not doing that potato excercise. you, however, irishman have at it. don't eat all those potatos though.

Merle said...

Hi Tim ~~ Loved the flag made of living flowers - that's cool.
The potato exercise one is a goodie.
Thanks for your comments and I am glad you enjoyed the Handwriting on the Wall and the Birth Order. I hope your family liked them also.
Take care, Regards, Merle.

Jeanette said...

Hi Tim
I understand what your talking about. Oh those bugs do make a mess. and if you put your washer wipers on seem to make a bigger messby the time i got home after being out I could hardly see out the window had to clean windscreen before i could go out next day.. hahaha love your exercise might try it soon as im able to get some sacks. hahahaha

Gwen said...

HiTim.
What a loverly flag and real flowers too.
Iwould give that exercise a shot
if someone can give me the sacks.
But then again I think I had better
stick to my push-ups 10klm walk
Ho/Ho/Ho/

Alice (in BC Canada) said...

Popped in to say HI... I'm off traveling a bunch this month. Will pop back when I'm home again and catch up with your posts yet again... haha.

Have a great week.