Monday, February 11, 2008

Don't laugh too hard. All of us reach this age some day.

This will probably be my only post this week although one never knows what is going to happen. I do know I will be gone on an overnighter with the wrestling team but other than that I am not sure what I am doing. Took the cheerleaders and dance team to a competition last Saturday. I am always amazed at the level of competition and how good some of those kids are. I really enjoyed watching.

Last week we had some SERIOUS snow and wind storms. Roads were closed, schools were closed and, of course, accidents everywhere. I worry so much about Cheryl when she is out in those conditions but she seems to handle herself very well. Must be the training she received from her husband. Some of the schools were still involved in basketball tournaments and even though they were told it might be best to cancel they did not. The results... they spent time waiting in one of the schools and a local church for the roads to open. Some of our own kids did not get home until after 6-7 pm and then the only way was to have a snowplow go in front of the bus. It was very interesting.

Having snow days reminded me of when I was a kid. We used to have some jim dandy blizzards in Teton Valley where I lived. When we had a snow day I liked to strap on some skis or snowshoes and head for the canyon a couple of miles away. It might be raging out on the flats but the canyon was always so peaceful and quiet. One has to experience it to know what I am talking about when I say it is peaceful to snowshoe in virgin snow, listen to a bubbling brook and hear the wind blowing in the top of the trees. It is so relaxing.

Some days we would pop popcorn (the old way), read books, listen to "good" music and play games like Rook, or Old Maid. My sisters always cheated cause no one is that good. I would lie in front of the heat vent and sleep. Yep, those were the good days. When I had my ham radio I would spend time in my room just blabbing to everyone and anyone I could reach.

In our valley all the farming areas where certain families had settled had a name. Ours was called Darby, then there was Cedron, Chapin, Victor, Bates, Clawson, Felt, and Cache to name a few. If we met someone new and they said they were from Darby, for instance, everyone would know instantly where they lived.

Our valley used to be known mainly as Pierre's Hole because of the white man and Indian trading that would go on in it. It was known for outlaws, Indian wars and many other kinds of stuff. Now it is nothing but homes, homes, and more homes with the land posted for no trespassing. I don't go there any more because it just isn't home to me now. I go up the Darby canyon where I spent so much time as a kid and all I see are people, people and more people. It is called progress I guess. An area where the Crow and Blackfoot Indians had a major battle used to be littered with arrowheads and etc but now... homes and people.

That darned Cheryl came home with a cat the other day. After Gus died we swore we would have no more pets. She must have been absent on the day we had that conversation. We named the new cat Felix. We are noticing that where ever he came from he never learned to play. He is very protective of his food but I can live with that cause I am protective of my food as well. Almost had to give Cheryl a clout to the ear this morning cause she stole a piece of my bacon. YOU JUST DON'T STEAL A MAN'S BACON!!!

Pam and Foam I can just see you guys reading about blowing raspberries and setting there trying it to see how you do it. You had me a giggling there for a few minutes. I'm just glad I didn't mention the flatulence problem Cheryl has and the conversations we have over that. No, you don't need to try it and give me an example.:)

I guess this is it for today. I have laundry to do, wood to bring in and the list goes on. It is hard being married to a bossy woman. She even had to gall to tell me, no that was ordered me, to purchase a couple of new white shirts since mine are about 8 years old. Now if that is not bossy then I don't know what is.

Almost Valentine's day and I don't know what to get my sweetheart. Cheryl will get what I give her but my sweetheart gets something special. I guess I will give her a good dose of me. That would brighten anyone's day, right? Right!!

Hey Merle and Jeanette do you guys celebrate Valentine day in Australia?

By the way I think I have two OLD Grannies in California who read my blog, (Kay and Darla). If you do then you folks have a happy Valentine day also.

Have a nice day everyone.

10 comments:

Jeralee said...

I love Darby canyon. Beautiful area up there. It seems we went hiking up in those parts when I was younger. I can envision the quiet, peaceful canyon. It reminds me of the few times we went cross country skiing at Harriman State park in Island park. breathtaking scenery, and a quiet stillness, except for the occasional honking of the Canadian geese.

How about a gift certificate for a pedicure for Cheryl? Does she like those kinds of things?

The Ramblin Irishman said...

Jeralee, that is a good thought. Thank you. I was going to get her a couple of fishing lures but maybe she would like this better.

darkfoam said...

i love reading about how you spent your youth.
those were the olden days alright ..
such a looooooooooooooooooooooong,
looooooooooooooooooooooooooooooong,
long,long,long,long, long,long time
ago it was too.
i can't even imagine a time that
loooooooooooooooooooooooooooooong
ago...
:))))

The Ramblin Irishman said...

So Foam is a comedian this day huh? Well listen little missy you will get there some day and then who will be laughing? Nope, it won't be me cause I will be strumming Jeralee's harp.

darkfoam said...

yes, one of these days
a loooooooooooooooooooooooooong time
from now, i certainly do hope to be as oooooooooooooooooooooold as you are now...
and have the same good sense of humor as you do..
;)

Lowa said...

I love that cartoon:) Reminds me of when our young went swimming in those disposable diapers:) What a sight!

I would love to hear about Cheryl's flatulence problems:) But I have a feeling your's are even worse. My nephew was just visiting and he has us rolling on the floor. That boy has a talented rear end, I can say that much:) Assuming one views that kind of thing as talent:) I sure do! I love a good fart! Teehee

Yes, a pedicure is a good idea, if she likes stuff like that. Also a HUGE box of cholcolates in the velvety box and maybe a wee stuffed animal??:) I LOVE stuffed animals that are very soft, but I have a feeling Cheryl is not as immature as I am. Just ideas. Taking her out for a nice meal is always rewarded...you know?? Make a woman feel special and she feels VERY loving:)

Lowa said...

HEY YOU!!

MISTER!!

Get over to my blog and answer the questions from Monday, the 11th please! People are wanting me to give the answers and I want you to have a shot at winning the prize also, ok??

Thanks!

Happy V-Day!

Merle said...

Hi Tim ~~ All that snow and ice on the roads are scary and I hope you stay safe with your bus loads of ppl. I hope you and Cheryl had a happy Valentines Day and yes we do celebrate it here. Glad you enjoyed the California joke - it was good and Englist almost ended up German (or at least Austrian.) Olive is truly remarkable for her age. It is odd that her comment section is at the top of each post. Have a good week end. Take care, Regards, Merle.

Jeanette said...

Gday Tim, Hahaha, loved the cartoon,Brrrrrrrrr All that Snow I hate winter! give me sunny Yarrawonga any day even when we moan about the heat.
Yes Tim we do celebrate Valentines day in Australia.The shops do a roaring trade..Take care stay safe on the roads. Jen

Avry said...

Hahaha- love the depends, although I am not old & I suffer from the same problem! :)
So you are feeding birds, squirrels and stray cats huh? If I wander over to your house will you feed me too??