Wednesday, March 19, 2008

There is no reason for this picture other than I like it. I thought it was very special.

My run got canceled today due to bad weather so I had a chance to visit other blogs and finish a book I have been reading. It is called "The Eye of the World" by Robert Jordan. At first I didn't think I would continue reading because it started out kind of slow for me but the plot picked up as well as the action. This book has a lot of similarities to the Lord of the Ring series. Instead of a ring being the focal point it is three young men. Of course they encounter many kinds of beings, dangers and strange people in their travels to the eye of the world. Once again the world is in mortal danger from the "dark side" and they have to prevent it from being destroyed.

What I had a hard time with was the names of people and places. These names must be from old Celtic or Welsh times and I could not even begin to pronounce them. I must not forget the evil warriors that were much like those in Lord of the Rings. These are called Trollocs and seemingly undestroyable. There is a Dark Lord who has fire coming out his eyes and mouth and is a really nasty sort of individual.

There is no cussing, no sexual encounters, just good old fiction action. I liked it.

I also finished reading "The Golden Compass". Again the names and some of the words were hard for a poor uneducated person like me to read. I read this book mainly because there are so many religious groups who were opposing it and I wanted to know why so I could guide my grandchildren. I didn't find anymore wrong with this book than I did with the Harry Potter series... and I liked Harry Potter.

Now if I speak about authors that I really like then Louis L'Amour is right there amongst the top 5 or so. I love western reading. The hero, the heroine (sp), the bad guy, the horses, the guns, the whiskey, the fights, the romance. Oh John Wayne where are you when we need you? I always loved the part where the hero mounts his horse, tips his hat to the beautiful young woman and rides off into the sunset. "No, no", she cries but he keeps going and then pauses on the crest of the hill. (There is always a crest of the hill) "I'm sorry my dear, but my horse needs me more." And he rides away. Sighhhhhhhhhhh, what a man.

I also finished reading "The Teachings of Joseph Smith". Now whether you like the man and his organization or not he truly suffered a great deal at the hands of mobsters. I don't think I would have the stamina to withstand what he went through. It would crush me to have friends turn against me, family turn against me and the world thinking I am a bad person.

Okay enough with the book reviews.

Here in this area we have an unusual number of hawks that fly through each spring and fall. I have seen so many hawks lately and each one is fascinating. I even got to see a falcon chasing a bird and that was poetry in motion. While waiting in Boise one day two geese came in for a landing and performed it so smoothly that any pilot would be jealous. Beautiful to watch.

The *&^%$#@!!! deer are down from the mountains and they are an ever threat on the highways. If I seen one I know I seen a thousand the other day.

Guess that is about all for today. Remember when I first started blogging I said I was boring. Wellllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll, now you have proof.

Have a nice day everyone.

2 comments:

Pamela said...

The Swainsons Hawk should be coming in from south america.

I need to get back to reading.
I've seen several reviews that piqued my interest. But I couldn't get off my duff.

darkfoam said...

no..
you are not boring..