Monday, August 14, 2006




This reminds me of Cheryl and her friend Donna. Couple of old farts in a convertible trying to relive their youth. They are trying to start a Red Hat Society chapter here in this area which is not a bad thing. Here it is the church and nothing else and sometimes that is just not enough.

Yesterday our teacher gave us some pointers on the importance of keeping a journal of your life activities. I will admit I am not very good at this but keep trying in my own simple way. So I will share an experience in my life that was humorous and yet serious.

I lived in the town of Driggs, Idaho where most people scratch out a living the best way they can. Of course the place has changed so much now that I don't know what they do. Anyway, I got a job helping my relative in the forest and we were spraying pine trees for beetles that were killing them. Our chemicals consisted of some kind of killing agent mixed with diesel fuel. Nasty job.

As we worked we would notice what we called red-topped trees which are pine trees completely dead but the needles are still there, but very dry. I don't know how the practice got started but it was great fun to light a match to the bottom of one of these red-topped trees just to watch it go up in flames.

Well, as luck would have it we come across one tree that was all by itself, the safest kind of red-top to burn. Close by were about six to eight green, healthy trees but we just knew they wouldn't be hurt. Mind you this is in the spring and there was still snow everywhere so dryness in the forest was not an issue.

I put the match to the bottom limb of the red-top and "whoosh" flames shot to the top. What my relative and I never took into consideration is the intense heat that comes from these trees. Even though the green ones were supposedly a safe distance away the nearest one caught on fire.

I don't know if you have heard the term of trees exploding but believe me when I say, they do just that. It is a very scary sound. Not only did the nearest one catch on fire and explode but so did about six others all in a row. By the time the sixth one caught and exploded this little boy was on his knees praying to God that He would stop things from going any further. I even promised to be a good boy for a while.

Luckily it stopped but we were both quite shaken by the events of the day. Needless to say I have NEVER performed that stupid trick again.

So there you have it... another tale from the Ramblin Irishman. Hope you enjoyed it.

Have a nice day everyone.

1 comment:

..................... said...

you are a very braaave man in admiting to that story, irishman.
funny in the retelling, but dangerous during the actuality.

i occasionally see red hat ladies around town. they always seem to be having a good time.