Monday, March 06, 2006

Another Week of Irish Ramblin"

And so begins another week and we wonder, what will this week bring? Will it brings us joy, or sorrow, or pain, or pleasure? Hopefully all of us will have a great week, after all the Academy Awards are over and we all waited breathlessly to see who would win what. Why? Because it will have a profound effect on our lives.

About my question, what is mush? As a child this word was used daily in our home but as I left home and ventured into the world I never heard the word used. I was visiting my cousin and his wife and as we sat down to breakfast she asked, "Would you like some mush for breakfast?" It was almost like hearing a foreign word being used. Mush, what in the blazes is mush? Mush is the word we used when referring to any kind of cereal. It didn't matter whether it was oatmeal, cream of wheat, grits and even cold cereal. Of course back in the covered wagon days we only had cheerios, cornflakes and cream of wheat for our "mush".

So that is why I asked the question. I was curious what kind of answers I would get back and there really was no incorrect answer.

Now, for the question of today: what is a spud? I have heard of spudnuts, spuds and I am sure other ways of using this word, but what the heck is a spud? Just call me professor for the time being.

Cheryl and I went out, to what we are still assuming will be our next home, vacuumed, cleaned and worked ourselves silly. We then went to a local eating place and had a chicken fried stake; hers with a baked potato and mine with french fries. Oh, those french fries were soooooo good. They were the good old fashioned kind; big and fat and dripping with all kinds of stuff to make my heart quit. I loved them!! We also had a plate sized scone which neither one of us could finish so we brought it home and had it for breakfast today, along with our "mush". We had a great time. I personally enjoy those kind of moments with my wife. It provides a break from the routine and affords us a time to laugh and talk with no other pressures.

Yesterday, of course, was jail day. If we get our home and move, we will not be working at the jail anymore which is sad in some ways and glad in others. We have met some very nice people who are in prison for doing stupid things and we have met people on the outside who should be in prison for doing worse things. It is great to see someone really try to change their life for the better and while they are not the majority of the prisoners, they are the ones who make it seem all worthwhile.

Guess I better quit for today. I mean boring is boring and I have been boring enough for one day. Okay here is my story for today.

Brains


In the hospital the relatives gathered in the waiting room, where their family member lay gravely ill. Finally, the doctor came in looking tired and somber. "I'm afraid I'm the bearer of bad news," he said as he surveyed the worried faces. "The only hope left for your loved one at this time is a brain transplant. It's an experimental procedure, very risky but it is the only hope. Insurance will cover the procedure, but you will have to pay for the brain yourselves.."
The family members sat silent as they absorbed the news. After a great length of time, someone asked, "Well, how much does a brain cost?" The doctor quickly responded, "$5,000 for a male brain, and $200 for a female brain"
The moment turned awkward. Men in the room tried not to smile avoiding eye contact with the women, but some actually smirked. A man unable to control his curiosity, blurted out the question everyone wanted to ask, "Why is the male brain so much more?" The doctor smiled at the childish innocence and explained to the entire group,
"It's just standard pricing procedure. We have to mark down the price of the female brains, because they've actually been used."

2 comments:

..................... said...

Why,everyone knows a spud is a tater, don't they? And not a weed digging tool or a pipe thingy that connects pipes.

The Ramblin Irishman said...

What in the heck is a "tater"? I'm just kidding. Being from Idaho I know what a spud is and what a tater is. Glad to see someone else knew as well.