Monday, November 05, 2007


Now I don't know how many of you are golfers but this picture certainly adds to the hazards a golfer has to play through. I have had antelope on the fairway, deer on the fairway and of course squirrels and prarie dogs, but never a grizzly bear. Who said golfing was easy?

Speaking of golf I am hoping my back heals enough so that next spring when I begin taking the highschool students to their golfing events I can take an old club and try hitting a few to see how my back holds up. I used to really love playing golf and would like to get back doing it.

This reminds me of a golf story. I was first introduced to golf while living in Greeley, Colorado and each weekend we would be off playing some course in the neighboring area. When I later lived in Rock Springs, Wyoming I played as much as I possibly could and thoroughly enjoyed it. However................., this was also at the time that I had a temper and if things didn't go my way I would become quite irate. Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.

One day I took Cheryl golfing and I just knew I was going to show her a thing or two. As it turned out my day was horrible. I couldn't hit a ball with a club the size of a barn; nothing was working. One particular hole I teed off and the ball dribble about 20 feet and I exploded, took my club and intended to throw it at the ball. (Very mature attitude... oh yeah.) Cheryl was standing behind me and watching the circus. The problem; the club somehow stuck in my hand, did a 180 degree turn and zipped toward Cheryl just narrowly missing her head by inches.

I was so shocked at the events that all I could do was stand there and look. To think of what might have happened was very sobering. I put my club back in the bag, picked all of them up and announced that we were going home. When I finally gained my composure from anger and then fright I looked at Cheryl and said that if I couldn't control myself any better than that then I had no business playing the game. It took quite a while for me to get over this experience but I can assure you I am a lot more calm about things now; afterall it IS just a game.

I went one time with my boys when we were living in California. One particular par three hole had a large mound on the left side of the green and guess who hit their ball in the wrong place. The boys were over on the other side of the green waiting for me to hit but they couldn't see me since the mound was so high. I peeked around to see if they were watching, and they weren't, so I picked up the ball and tossed it onto the green just a few feet from the hole. "Wow, Dad, what a great hit!" were the comments I heard. I snickered about that "great shot" for several greens before I decided to tell them the truth.

My son, Mike, has the unique gift of making things seem believable when they are not quite that way. He and I went golfing one day. He hit a ball that sliced a wee bit and landed by some guys who were getting ready to tee off. I watched him as he walked over to retrieve his ball and noticed they were talking to him. Upon returning to where I was I asked him what they had to say. He told me that they had said if he couldn't play any better than that he should get off the course. I was immediately angry. No one has the right to say that let alone to MY child.

I instantly whirled around and was headed over to the group to settle the issue once and for all. Here comes Mike right behind me, "Dad, Dad I was just kidding. They didn't really say that. They just said hi to me." That made me angrier and I whirled around again, poked him in the chest with my club and proceeded to tell him things that only a truck driver would understand. To this day I think Mike has the impression of that club on his chest. Little s--t anyway.

I have had some good times golfing with my family. I am not very good and since I have been put on depression medicine I have help now controlling myself and am a lot more enjoyable to be around. I just hope my physical problems will allow me to do some of the things I truly enjoy.

Okay, okay that is my golfing blog and I hope you enjoyed it. Oh by the way.......,
Alice you are a poop. Irish came from Africa indeed.

Have a nice day everyone.

5 comments:

darkfoam said...

you just had a wee bit of an anger management problem in your younger days...lol...
seriously though, i'm glad that meds are helping. i seriously hope you get to enjoy the game again next spring.
and when you do...may you not encounter any big teddy bears while golfing..;)

Jeralee said...

love the golf stories! I have gone golfing with my mother exactly 2 times. Golf and I don't get a long. My mom kept saying "Quit trying to kill the ball!" Requires a LOT of patience, so my hats off to you. I will stick with hitting people as my preferred sport of choice. he he.

And let's here it for the anti-d meds! Good stuff. I couldn't function as well without them.

Merle said...

Hi Tim ~~ Great golfing stories ~ a bit like a
confession in parts.Amazing
that grizzly bear on the course. I am glad you have calmed down,as it wouldn't be good for YOU to be angry all the time. Thank goodness for medications of all sorts.Glad you enjoy my blog and it brightens your day. Thank you Tim for that. Take care, Regards, Merle.

Alice (in BC Canada) said...

ROFLMAO..... Yup, Irish are from Africa... you saw the video proving it. You know when I saw it I couldn't help but send it on.

I'm glad to hear your temper has cooled down. Good thing some people get old, haha... Drugs can be a good answer to questions like depression. I know they help me a lot, though I fought against going on them for years... then against staying on them. Guess it's time to just accept them.

Have a great day!!

Tigersue said...

Just wanted to wave hello.