Wednesday, October 18, 2006


Doesn't this state what we all are probably thinking. Goodness for the good old days when gas was 25 cents a gallon. We would scour the countryside looking for soda bottles to return to the grocery store so we could get the deposit and have gas money.

Brrrrrrrr it is cold here and the mountains are capped with snow. Shucks, I guess winter is truly coming again. Fishing is better when it is cold though. Hot weather drives them to the bottom.

My story for today: I started driving truck many, many years ago and one of my first jobs was to pull mobile homes from the Boise, Idaho area to Idaho Falls. One morning I took off about 1:00 am headed for Boise and the weather was wet and cold. As I was driving I never noticed that black ice was forming on the road so I wasn't as careful as I should have been. Near Jerome, Idaho suddenly my truck spun out of control and I went off the road backwards doing about 55 mph. Luckily it was the center of the freeway that it headed for but unluckily that particular part had a razorback ridge right in the middle of the medium.

My truck hit one side of the razorback, spun around and slid up and over to the other side then spun again and slid back to the original side. All I could do is say, "Oh s--t" and hang on. I just knew I was going to roll and I ducked down as low as I could. Surprisingly the truck never rolled. I had such a death grip on the steering wheel that it couldn't move and that probably stopped the front wheels from turning into a roll.

When the snow settled and I looked around I realized my door had come open during all the excitement even though it was closed when I came to a stop. I found all my stuff from inside the cab about 20 yards behind me; pencils, papers and etc. The only damage to the truck was a bent bumper which had pushed up against the wheel. The highway patrolman who came along couldn't believe that the truck never rolled and I was not seriously hurt.

As in my previous story I never experienced fear while all this was going on. However when I made the same trip the next day in a spare truck I was extremely nervous about black ice forming. Even today, many years later, I am overly cautious about road conditions.

So that is my tale for today. Tomorrow or when I blog again I will tell the story of when I got bucked off a horse. Stupid horse anyway.

I appreciate all your comments. It lets me know that someone actually does read my dribble. Darla I liked the pictures you sent as you can tell by what I post.

Have a nice day everyone.

4 comments:

..................... said...

Blech,
I hate getting caught on black ice. Makes for extremely hazardous driving. You were lucky! Isn't it funny how with time certain unlucky events make for good stories several years later?

Jeanette said...

Nice story! I wouldn't like to be caught in those conditions. as for fuel A couple of months ago we were paying $1.46litre its now down to $1.27litre but forecast to be up again near $1.50litre at Christmas were now in spring was 27c today

Kate Olson said...

Boy! Sounds like you needed a glass stomach that morning!! MY DAD TAUGHT ME BETTER, so I am a much more cautious driver then THAT! Sounds like you ditched class the day they covered the black ice subject in Trucker School. I am so glad I have my momma's brains. Whew!!

You know I love you DADDY!!!

Merle said...

Hello Tim ~ Another scary truck story, but all was well in the end.
Hard to believe, you didn't feel afraid in either story. I guess it
hits you later. I am enjoying your stories, and knowing you are still with us, the scary ones are OK.
Take care, Regards,Merle.