Tuesday, October 10, 2006



With the elections coming up I felt this picture from Maxine was appropriate. It is so hard to chose anymore. Politicians have dirtied their names so bad that now no one trusts any of them and I am sure there has to be a few good ones out there.

I promised Dana that I would tell the story about my son and his ability to take medicine and if I have told this story before, I apologize.

Cheryl and I lived in Madison, Ohio for a couple of years (that is where she is from) and while there we got to be real good friends with another couple who had a boat. Often we would go to Lake Erie to water ski and just have fun with our young families. Our oldest son, Kip, was about 1 1/2 years old, just getting around on his own quite well.

One weekend while at the lake we were having a great time skiing and roasting wieners and marshmallows when we noticed Kip was off by himself, on the beach, and was eating something. Upon investigating we found that he had discovered a dead fish and proceeded to start eating eat. As new parents we, of course, freaked out. Thoughts of all kinds of poisoning or diseases entered our minds. We grabbed that kid and off to the house we went to call the doctor.

Call number one: "Doctor this is what happened, what do we do? What do we do?"
He said, "Calm down and I want you to put your finger down his throat and make him upchuck."

"Okay, okay we can do that." Cheryl stuck her finger down his throat and he bit her so hard that her finger was bleeding.

Call the doctor again. "Doctor, doctor what do we do? He won't upchuck and my finger is bleeding."

This time the doctor said, "Give him a raw egg and that will make him upchuck. You might put a bandaid on your finger."

"Okay, okay we can do that." I held him and Cheryl got the egg, broke it and put it in his mouth. Slurp!! He thought that was so good he wanted another one.

Call the doctor once more. "Doctor, doctor what do we do? He took the egg and wanted another one." This time I think the doctor was laughing 'cause this is the advice he gave us.

"If that kid has survived the finger, the egg and the parents, just give him a glass of milk and put him to bed. He will be fine."

That was our first experience of many to come with that kid. He has a scar running down the full length of his back from when he slid off a well house and hooked a nail as he did so. He has several scars on his front from a tree falling on him and several different operations of some sort. He is the one in our family that we always said, "If it is going to happen it will happen to him."

So Dana taking bottled medicine is a piece of cake compared to raw eggs and fingers down the throat.:) Brandon should be grateful.

Schaumi I can sure tell you are either busy or just burned out with blogging. I check several times to see what mischief you have been up to but no new stuff. By the way the German students I picked up were very nice and polite. I almost thought they were Irish at first.

Have a nice day everyone.

6 comments:

Bob said...

It's good to see you back, I've been tunning in for a week now but no new updates. Todays edition was well worth the wait anyway, it was quite funny until I got to the bit about the nail down the back, that bit went right through me - ouch poor kid. Anyway keep up the good work.

..................... said...

I don't know, tim. i guess my lack of writing has to do with several factors: moving at the same time school has started back. running kids to afterschool activities. having the computer in the den which is noisy and lively all the time. I like a little piece and quiet when i blog. i've been tired a lot which has been a drag. reckon i ought to go to bed earlier? one of these days i will write more and i do appreciate you visiting my blog even though there isn't much anymore.
i really loved the story about your son. My goodness, surviving sliding down a nail. ouch, ouch....! It must have been a real adventure raising him.

Tigersue said...

Why is it that some children just seem to be accident prone. :) Great story.

Kate Olson said...

EWWWWWW GROSS!!! I knew he was nasty but at least I know now where Isabelle gets it from. I caught her with one of my unused tampons and she was standing over the toilet. She was dipping it in the water and then SUCKING on it. Riley's not the one with brain damage!!! The proof is in the pudding. Nasty little toddlers!

Dana a/k/a Sunshine said...

Ok, I just read the comment from Kate...OH MY GOSH - a tampon (albeit unused) in the toilet - UGH. i AM GAGGINg right now...but you are right, Brandon is lucky he didn't have to survive the raw eggs and the finger down his throat!

The Ramblin Irishman said...

The "Kate" is my oldest daughter and she has a history of saying things to make her Dad sick. I call her Huff and Puff because she is always a snorting and blowing about something.