Monday, November 20, 2006


I know I posted this picture last year but it still rings true.

I never have claimed to be a smart person and sometimes my actions prove me right beyond all words. Last Friday Cheryl and I went to the LDS temple in Logan, UT. Afterward we were kind of hungry so we went to Wal-Mart where a Subway sandwich shop is located. They have pastrami and we both love pastrami so we ordered that meal. For a drink they had Vault energy drink in their fountain and having never had Vault I ordered a 64 oz. cup. Tasted real good so I had another as we shopped Wal-Mart. We were both in a gazing mood, which is highly unusual for me, and we took over an hour just putzing around. Time to leave so we went back to Subway and refilled our drink; #3 cup of Vault energy drink.

We returned home, put things away and settled down to watch Ghost Whisperer, Close To Home and Numbers. Time for bed so we said our prayers, turned off the lights and prepared for a good nights sleep. Right? Wrong!!

That lucky Cheryl went to sleep immediately but me, oh no, it was more like this:

Me: "Close eyes and let's get some sleep."
Eyes: Blink, blink.

A half hour goes by:

Me: "Come on eyes, I am tired and I have to get up early."
Eyes: Blink, blink.... blink, blink.

An hour goes by and Cheryl is snoring with the best of them but me...
"Please eyes, close and go to sleep."
Eyes: Blink, blink, blink.

Two more hours go by and I have tossed and turned while Cheryl continues her snoring.
"Eyes will you PLEASE close and let me sleep."
Eyes: Looking around in the dark counting the white spots that float by, blink, blink, blink.

Finally about 4:00 am they close a little and then flutter finally letting me get some needed sleep. 5:00 am Cheryl rolls over, "Hey, are you awake?" I almost made her eyes go blink, blink from something poking them. "Boy", she said, "I sure slept good, how about you?" Once again I had to hold my hand back from poking her in the eye with my finger.

Energy drinks and me just don't get along.

Well Thanksgiving is just around the corner. The forgotten holiday. I guess everyone can think about the PS3 they didn't get or the Wii. Me, I don't play those games so it didn't matter to me. Looks like Cheryl and I are staying home and having dinner for just the two of us. We bought the DaVinci Code and will watch that. All of our kids are going somewhere else. This is the first year we have faced not having them around and I don't think we like it too much. The price we pay when they grow up and parents from the other side of their marriage want them to come and visit, or they live too far away. Hope everyone and anyone who reads this dribble has a very nice Thanksgiving day.

Do they celebrate Thanksgiving in Australia, Scotland, England, Canada or Texas? Sometimes we Americans get to thinking the world does just like we do.

Time to close.

6 comments:

Bob said...

No we don't have Thanksgiving here. We of course have heard about it and most will know how it comes about. What date is Thanksgiving? You made me laugh with the story of the energy drink, not very funny for you though.

The Ramblin Irishman said...

Hi Bob,
Thanksgiving is the 3rd Thursday of November each year. Sometimes it can be the 4th Thursday. I really don't know how they figure it out, I just know the meal is GREAT!!

Kate Olson said...

Wow, dummy...oops!I mean daddy. William and I read that and almost laughed ourselves off our chairs. We are doing the same as you and mom. Just hanging out at home with a crazy 2 yr old. We are seriously considering going to Marie Calenders and watching the parade there... We are anti-family this year. hahahahahaha

Jeanette said...

no we dont celebrate thanks giving in Ausralia . But heard of it also our next celebration is Christmas. had a laugh at your cartoon and little story
take care

Tigersue said...

Canadians celebrate Thanksgiving but I have to tell you their date makes much more sense than the silly American date!
It is Celebrated the 2nd Monday in October, does that ring a bell, it is when we here in America celebrate Columbus day. I could never figure out why we Celebrate Thanksgiving so late in the year here. I mean the harvest is long over by the 4th Thursday in November. I have to say this is one thing the President Lincoln did that I don't agree with! :)

When we moved from Canada, we had two thanksgivings, now that was a riot. For years after that we always had a turkey dinner in October and it wouldn't dawn on us until later that we were doing it out of habit. :)

Lowa said...

I agree with Tigersue. Seems odd to have it so late. After 17 years in this country, I still can't get used to it! I was talking to my Mum today and reminded her that it is coming up. She did a cute giggle and said something about how silly Americans are! LOL Why do they have it so late and close to Christmas, she asked?? I didn't have an answer for her, but I know I am excited to eat turkey soon!

That story about the energy drink makes me think of Hammy in "Over the Hedge". You poor guy! Maybe you should have made the best of it and used the energy to scrub the house and Cheryl would wake up to a sparkling house?? teehee I know what you mean though. You just lay there hoping and praying that you will be asleep soon. It is horrible, eh???