Tuesday, November 28, 2006


This Christmas picture didn't turn out as good as I wanted but the thought is still there.

Yesterday I asked for responses about Christmas traditions. I thought I would tell a couple of ours that we have done for many years. What Cheryl and I are finding that as we get older and the kids are no longer around we have to change some of the things we do. Bummer in a way.

One tradition I started when we first got married was putting a small gift for Cheryl in the tree. The kids would all know about it and it was as much fun to watch them trying to keep a secret as it was for Cheryl to find it. She was a pretty good sport about not looking until Christmas morning. The kids would all watch and do the warm, cold, hot thing as she looked. Some years it would be earrings, another was a ring, one was a watch. I have not kept this tradition up too well so maybe this year there will be another item in the tree.

Each Christmas eve we would all gather around and I would read the Christmas story from the Bible, we would sing some songs and have goodies to eat, then we would get in the car and drive around looking at Christmas light displays. Being a young father I never realized at the time how much fun it was. Now that I am older and the kids are gone I kind of miss it. Cheryl and I still go around looking at lights.


Another tradition that I started (and sometimes wish I had not)was one where I would tell or read The Night Before Christmas but... I would insert songs throughout the story. Personally I thought it was rather dumb and the kids would tire of it quite easily, such was not the case however. One year I had no intentions of reading and singing but the kids put up such a squawk that I continued with that tradition. Now they think I should do it for the grandkids but so far grandpa has vetoed such actions.

So those are some of our traditions. I do hope some of you will respond. Last night we had a group over to our house and we discussed this very item. It was interesting what their parents did when they were children and what they did with their own families.

Go to go. It is supposed to snow more today and I need to rest up for all that shoveling Cheryl will have to do.

4 comments:

clairesgarden said...

I think you should get right on in there and tell the grandkids that story!!
we are having cold/wet but no snow yet. and well done changing your picture, these computer things sometimes take so long if you're not sure of the methods, I just upgraded to broadband, got one on wireless and the other one plugged in. the instructions said 'this will take you 20 minutes'. . .it took me two whole evenings!
your lilacs should be ok, books usually advise pruning a third out at a time, leaving some to grow on, but I think lilacs are so hardy they'll be ok.

Kate Olson said...

I am with Claire!! If only the rest of you could hear my dad sing. He has a wonderful voice and we have always loved it when he would read and sing "Twas the night before Christmas". It was truly the highlight of our Christmas Eve.

Pamela said...

Tell it to the grandkids.

Snowed here today - but mostly it is just c-c-c-c-cold.

I had to drive about 45 miles for a training session and the roads were compact snow and ice. I had acid reflux by the time we arrived at our destination.

Lowa said...

TIM!

How could you do this?? What is it with your old Irish Farts anyway?? My Dad always used to sing "The Wild Colonial Boy" to us kids on car trips. We have asked him to sing it to the Grandkids, to no avail!?!? Why do you deny your grandchildren the gift of your voice and memories??

HUMPH!

Stubborn Irish man!