Tuesday, November 07, 2006




Those darned aliens struck again only this time with my daughter Kim. Amber are you loose and tormenting people? It is a good thing they don't know where my daughter Katie lives. Even that picture would scare me. She WAS abducted and they did strange things to her 'cause she sure is strange. I keep asking her mother who the real father is.:)

It is football season and it reminded me of another story from my past. My home town and community was quite small. Our graduating class from high school was a total of 54 and it was considered quite large. Most of the students were involved in some kind of activity whether it be sports or music or whatever. I wanted to play football but my freshman year I had an operation which removed about six inches of bone marrow from my left leg. It was used for my sister, who had polio, and had lost the use of her left arm. They placed the bone marrow in her arm hoping it would restore some use to it and it worked. Of course it worked!! Consider who the marrow came from. Irish people don't do things that don't work. Anyway that shot down my football playing that year.

My sophomore year I played but was not very good due to being behind so much.

My junior year I was really looking forward to football but.... I was finishing helping a friend put up his hay. We were bringing in the equipment and my cousin and I were riding on one of the tractors. Actually he was driving and I was riding. It was one of those tractors that did not have fenders over the wheels and I was standing on the axle next to the wheel. Being knotheads and such we of course had the throttle wide open and were barreling along when we hit a bump in the road. It knocked me into the wheel which caused me to lose my balance and I fell right in front of the wheel when I hit the ground. Instantly I rolled because if I had not my head would have be squished and I would be new road kill. However my feet had caught on part of the tractor and I was bent in a backward position where my feet were coming over my head backwards. You know that hurts just a tad.

Luckily my cousin had quick reflexes and stopped the tractor before it had a chance to break my back. I do remember yelling at him to get that *&^%$#@!!! tractor off of me. He backed up, called the ambulance and they hauled me off to the hospital. I was very fortunate. The flesh from my ribs had been scraped off, my back had been traumatized (for lack of a better word) and I hurt, oh did I hurt. The worst part of the whole ordeal was the nurse taking alcohol and cleaning my ribs. They had dirt and gravel imbedded quite badly. Needless to say I did not play football that year either.

I was so far behind the other kids that by my senior year I was like a freshman starting out. So that is my story and I am sticking to it.

There Katie are you happy?

Have a nice day everyone.

8 comments:

..................... said...

oh, the dangers of finally learning how to do photoshop..

are you sure that tractor wasn't an alien bent on attacking you?

Jo said...

What a crack up.. loved your site.. thx for visiting mine.. they dont call me Little Jen for nothing.

Kate Olson said...

OH! I'm so blessed. My dad acknowledged me TWICE!! I'm not the step child after all... But I am still sticking to the adopted story. I am the Pepsi man's baby.

Kate Olson said...

You know dad, for anyone who wants to know WHY a man so young as yourself has sooo many health problems they just need to read your stories. I don't feel like such a ding bat anymore. William started to smart off a bit and I reminded him of a few of HIS stories and he shut right up. Men! You are a strange, funny breed of animals.

Merle said...

Hi Tim ~ You sure have had some lucky escapes in your lifetime. The tractor
story was scary. Glad your bone marrow helped your sister, and you do have a few weirdos in your family, going by the photos. Thanks for your comments, glad you enjoy reading my posts. I try to please. Take care, and be very careful, Regards, Merle.

Tigersue said...

Hello there, I finally, and I mean finally found Jots and Tittles for you. I looked on Ebay, and there is one up right now for auction with a buy it now option too!
Here you go.
http://search.ebay.com/Jots-and-tittles_W0QQfromZR40

Tigersue said...

the last number on the above link should be 0

Bob said...

Having worked with tractors most of my life I can picture this accident clearly and realise how scary this must have been afterwards when you had time to think about it. In those days hanging on to a tractor for dear life was a thrill. Of course these days with enclosed cabs, air conditioning and even a seat for passengers there are no such thrills to be had, even driving one is so easy its boring - but then somewould say thats for the better.