Monday, January 29, 2007


Whew, what a week. I was so tired when I got home that on Sunday I slept most of the afternoon away. Looks like this week will be much the same although some of the trips won't be quite so long. (I am still tired so my english doesn't make sense.)

One night as we were coming back from an activity we met some deer on the road which caused me to slam on the brakes quite hard. No accident, just a nervous call. Reminded me of another time when I was working in the oil fields.

We would go out and set up our equipment on one day and then go back the next to do whatever we were going to do to the well. We could not work at night due to the danger level so we traveled back to town in the pickup. My boss was one who never drove slow. It didn't matter whether it was a freeway or a dirt road in the middle of nowhere, we always drove about 80 mph.

This one morning, in Wyoming, we were headed back to the rig. As he drove most of us would sleep or pretend to be asleep so we couldn't watch his driving. I was setting by the passenger door and was nodding off when all of a sudden I heard him yell and cuss in the same breath as he slammed on his brakes. I opened my eyes and all I could see was two big hairy cheeks and a black tail coming right at me. Now I want to tell you that wakes you up in a hurry.

In Wyoming there are herds of wild horses and we happened to come across a herd that was standing on the road. I must tell you I had visions of my head so far up a horse's posterier that even I had to laugh. My boss had the wheels locked up but it was to no avail. Not only did I have my lovely picture rapidly approaching me but he had, on his side, another horse who's head was headed for him. All told there were seven horses he was trying to avoid.

To this day none of us know how we made it through unscathed but we did. I could count the fleas on that horse's butt and all up it's side as it passed me. My boss was still shaking his head later that day wondering how in the world he missed the horse on his side. Needless to say I am a little jumpy when I see animals on the road.

One other time he and I were headed to a rig site near Elk Mountain, Wyoming when we encountered a herd of elk on the highway. We weren't going so fast this time cause the black ice was so bad. Those poor elk were trying so desparately to get out our way that all they could accomplished was to slip and fall down. We let them get out of the road but it was a funny kind of experience.

Have missed my blogging friends this week. I don't know if I can do much better this coming week but will try. If I don't get to read your blogs and make some comments don't think I have forgotten you, just busy.

Here are some thoughts that many of you probably have already read but what the heck... read them again...you have nothing else to do.

16 THINGS THAT IT TOOK ME OVER 50 YEARS TO LEARN:

By Dave Barry, Nationally Syndicated Columnist

1. Never, under any circumstances, take a sleeping pill and a laxative on the same night.

2. If you had to identify, in one word, the reason why the human race has not achieved, and never will achieve, its full potential, that word would be "meetings."

3. There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness."

4. People who want to share their religious views with you almost never want you to share yours with them.

5. You should not confuse your career with your life.

6. Nobody cares if you can't dance well. Just get up and dance.

7. Never lick a steak knife.

8. The most destructive force in the universe is gossip.

9. You will never find anybody who can give you a clear and compelling reason why we observe daylight savings time.

10. You should never say anything to a woman that even remotely suggests that you think she's pregnant unless you can see an actual baby emerging from her at that moment.

11. There comes a time when you should stop expecting other people to make a big deal about your birthday. That time is age 21.

12. The one thing that unites all human beings, regardless of age, gender, religion, economic status or ethnic back-ground, is that, deep down inside, we ALL believe that we are above average drivers.

13. A person who is nice to you, but rude to a waiter, is not a nice person.

(This is very important. Pay attention. It never fails.)

14. Your friends love you anyway.

15. Never be afraid to try something new. Remember that a lone amateur built the Ark. A large group of professionals built the Titanic.

16. Men are like fine wine . . . they start out as grapes, and it's up to the women to stomp the crap out of them until they turn into something acceptable to have dinner with.

Have a nice day everyone.

1 comment:

..................... said...

re: #16

well, as long as you don't stomp grapes that are rotten..

deer can ba a nuisance. be careful out there!