Saturday, December 30, 2006


Well, the New Year is just about to descend upon us. Have you ever wondered what this year will be like? Will you have prosperity or disaster, health or sickness, happiness or sorrow? If you are single will you meet the man of your dreams or the girl of your dreams?

New Years Eve, what memories it brings to me. I must say I agree with UKBob. It is just another day to me and if it wasn't for this crazy woman I am married to I would be in bed at 10:00pm like any other day. For some insane reason Cheryl thinks we must welcome each new year in at the stroke of midnight.

When we first got married her family almost insisted we get together on New Years day to just visit, play games or sleep. YUCK!!! New Years day is for football, football, and more football. I had to do some attitude adjusting over that one. There is the Rose Bowl, the Cotton Bowl, the Sugar Bowl and various others. Of course whomever is in charge of all these bowl games has screwed them up so bad that now days one doesn't know what is what.

I remember one New Years eve very well. (Aleaha, you don't need to read any further) I was a senior in high school and like most seniors we were looking forward to getting out of high school and becoming independent by being on our own. Our school had a rule that if you got caught smoking or drinking you would not only lose the school letters you had earned, but you were banned from participating in all sports the rest of the year.

This particular evening we, as athletes, had decided to heck with the school rules and we planned a party that would top all parties. One person's parents were out of town for a while so that was the place to hold the shindig.

That night there was beer, there was wine, there was whiskey of various flavors. Oh what a party. We were all so inebriated that I doubt any of us could tell someone our names. Fuzzily I remembered my Father coming to the door on New Years day and telling me to get home and milk the cows. Oh, how could he ask that? Somehow I managed to get home and stagger out to the barn where the cows were patiently waiting. I tried my best but all I can faintly remember is setting down to the same cow about three times to milk her. Finally she kicked me clean across the barn and I gave up. To this day I don't know if I milked all of them or not. I would guess probably not.

Now my family did not drink and being Mormons they didn't think any of their kids should be drinking either. Me, I was the black sheep of the family. What lesson did I learn from that party? Well, one thing I know is that I cannot stand the smell or appearance of whiskey to this day. I was so sick for the next few days that I thought I was going to die. Wine is the same way. I want to start barfing when I see or smell it.

When we were finally sober enough to see what we had done we found the washing machine plumb full of empty bottles, the house had suffered some damage and the whole town knew what we had done, who had done it and we were in trouble. Needless to say the whole bunch of us were removed from all athletics and all letters earned were taken away... but, oh what a party.:)

One of these times I will have to write about my softball experience in Jackson, Wyoming. Another of Tim's tales.

Don't think ill of me. These were follies of youth and I have since straightened out and no longer do such things. Now I am as pure as the driven snow.:)

Have a nice day everyone.

5 comments:

..................... said...

well, i can't stand the sight of scotch to this day..for reasons best left unsaid..but i was in my 20s at the time.
you have a good new year's, irishman..even if you are snoozin'..:)

Alice (in BC Canada) said...

Tim... you've been tagged!! Go to my blog for more info on playing blogger tag, lol.

Still just me said...

Tequilla and jelly-belly jelly beans do not mix either. I found this out as a senior in high school. I was sick for a week. Weren't we all so very smart teen-agers?

Kate Olson said...

BWAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!! Oh,yes! I know exactly where I got my rebellious shreak from. This is classic. Thanks Daddy!! Happy New Year.

Bob said...

Ha ha - I know where you're coming from with the cow thing Tim, it wasn't milking them with me though is was feeding them, Normally a simple task yet that day I couldn't for the life of me work out which ones I'd fed and which I hadn't, even now I can't think why not. But thankfully I still had enough brain left to realise that too much can kill and and after throwing up one more time I decided I was too ill and went home. The whisky thing didn't work for me though as I still enjoy it but it did teach me never to have too much. Bob.