Monday, October 15, 2007


Now don't tell me that many teachers would like something like this to take care of that "ONE" child in the class that is always doing something wrong or etc.

Is it true that today is National Mushroom Day? Well how about that and I thought there was nothing to celebrate. I guess I will have to get me a calendar that tells me what is being celebrated each day of the year. This is exciting... National Mushroom Day!!

So what new and exciting things are happening in my otherwise boring life? Nuthin!!

We went to Kim and Robin's yesterday and had dinner with them and the kids. Other than being a little on the loud side (Brandon and Jeremy) we had a great time. We attended church with them where they were addressing the congregation about prayer. I tried to catch up on some sleep while they were talking but Cheryl felt like that was rude and kept nudging me.

The mightly hunters are attacking the hills like a horde of angry bees in search of poor little Bambi. Now is not a safe time to be in the mountains. I have to smile at the ones who say it is so they can get some winter meat. By the time they spend all the money for toys, guns, food, gas, vehicles, campers plus many other items I can't think of right now, they would be better off to purchase meat at the local butcher shop... it is cheaper. On top of all that a deer does not produce that much meat. If it is big enough to produce even a 100 lbs of meat it has to be so old and tough that you want to just feed it to the dogs.

I kind of long for the days when I would venture out (by myself) and spend the time doing the same thing. I didn't have all the niceties though, I just had my horse, my old 30-30 carbine, 5 shells and away I would go. I used to be so proud of myself that I could make a killing shot with just one bullet and would bring the remaining 4 home. I always figured that if it took me a carton of bullets to get one animal then I needed to go home and practice some more.

I had one occasion where greed got the best of me though. (I hope those of you who might be anti-hunting will forgive my stories. I no longer hunt with a gun but try to get some camera shots.) I was following a large doe and her two yearlings up the mountain when I suddenly came upon them. I shot the one yearling and the doe but the other yearling got away. As I finished dressing out the first yearling I drug him down to where the large doe had fallen. To my surprise the other yearling was laying on top of her. I could not find a bullet hole anywhere; I guess it had died of fright. I cussed myself for being so greedy that day. The snow was waist deep and I had to get three animals down the mountain in it. I was sooooooo tired when it was all said and done. The venison meat sure tasted good though.

Sure hope the spud farmers get their potatoes out before the snow hits. We have had a couple of storms come through that is definitely warning us of things to come. There are fewer things worse than frozen potatoes to work in. When they warm up they turn to mush and stink to high heaven. We would have to run them over a sorter table and pick all the mush and yuck out before they could go to market. It would be so bad that we would have to wear rubber gloves or our hands would just be soaked, let alone frozen.

Okay, enough of my ramblin about my youth and the things I did. I am sure I was one of those kids whom the teachers would have liked to send down the shredder slide.

Have a nice day everyone.

6 comments:

Dana a/k/a Sunshine said...

What an interesting concept....but its grating on my nerves...ha ha ha .

Pamela said...

that has to be one of the "What's grosser than gross" jokes from my younger days. Oh ewwww ick.

I like sunshine's retort... grating on nerves. bwah

Jeanette said...

Hi Tim its been a while since my last visit.
All i can say here is Ouch Ouch
I dont no about the grating on the nerves but what about a sore bottom...lol

darkfoam said...

i enjoy your stories, irishman.
...and, indeed, that is a funny photo..lol

LIFE IS GOOD! said...

I had kept telling my kids you had a humorous blog and Ihad lost your sight but went back through some emails and there it was. So I have emailed all my kids your blog site. You and Jeralee would enjoy each others blog. Hopefully she will invite you to hers. I am glad Scott was not a hunter I have never been keen on venison. Yeah when I substituted there were a few kids I could of sent down that grater.

Jeralee said...

HILARIOUS Tim! Mom ( as in Gladys) just barely sent me the link to your blog. You are my kind of person and have my kind of humor. I can see that it is going to take me months to get caught up on your posts!