Friday, December 16, 2005

My daughter Kimberly

This is a picture of my daughter Kimberly, her husband Robin, Jeremy (my monster) and Brandon (who likes to tease his grandpa). We were in Cour de Lane, Idaho on vacation this past summer when this picture was taken. (No, I did not spell the name right)

Kim is my next to the youngest and the spitting image of my mother. My mother died when I was six months old so I never got to know her but my aunt gave me a picture of my mom when she was approximately 13 years old. We took a picture of Kim when she was about the same age and they looked like identical twins. As I listened to my aunt talk about my mom it seems that Kim has her personality as well. Onery, but loveable!!!

Everyone tells me that Kim and I are alike personality wise so the loveable part really shines forth. Kim is a very hard worker, very dedicated to what she does and very protective of her family. She likes the outdoors and enjoys camping, some fishing, atv riding and etc. She has been our child who does not like changes nor will she try anything new until she is forced to. She went to Korea to live for a couple of years and I couldn't believe she actually ate and did the things she told us about. That kid would not even try shrimp when she was home. In Korea she ate kimchi, seaweed, and all sorts of things. She even ate a silk worm one time, or so I understand.

While there she would write home crying about the language and how hard it was and how she couldn't understand it. After about the fourth month of being there the crying stopped and now she speaks Korean fluently.

All of my kids have done things to their bodies that probably make Cheryl and I look like abusive parents. Each one has scars of some sort from growing up. I can assure anyone reading this that I did not do it, Cheryl maybe, but not me. There were many times I felt like putting some knots on heads but did not. Kim's scar in on her ear. She was horsing around with her siblings one day and somehow managed to fall on the coffee table we had. The edge was so sharp and the fall so hard that she cut her ear in half. Just another run to the hospital. Being the 5th of six kids we knew by then that it was not life threatening and took it in stride.

She is an accomplished string bass player. When we lived in California she placed 4th in the state for her bass playing abilities. We always thought she would make music her major in college but she enjoys music for just that; the enjoyment. She played in the university orchestra and was first chair and has played in community concerts as well. I guess we can say we are pleased with her accomplishments.

It was through Kim that we met our Colorado and alien abducted daughter, Amber. They were roommates in college and have maintained a friendship all these years although I wonder who could be friends with someone who sends moose poop for a gift. It was also in college that they learned to play cribbage and now our whole family plays cribbage and Cheryl, my wife, is the biggest cheater I have ever seen. No one is that lucky all the time and I am a good player yet she still beats me. Cheater, I am telling you.

Have a nice day. :)

2 comments:

Lowa said...

WHat a freat looking family!!!

Thanks for telling us about your daughter Kim.

My mother's mother died while giving birth to her. She is in the same position as you then, in not knowing her mother or having any memory of her, of course. I am sure you were thrilled to have a child who looked is so like her:)

Amber said...

I must say how grateful I am to have had Kim as a roommate in college. What a great friend and supporter she has been! And her family, what can I say about them???? If I have to be nice, it has been wonderful being an adopted daughter - even if all I get is crap from you!