Tuesday, December 13, 2005

PW (Finale)

We buried Pat in August of 1971. I learned something that day. Even though we had been prepared by God for the inevitable we found we were never really prepared. We believe in miracles but it wasn't to be for us. Through the trauma of the hospital, the funeral and all the things involved nothing prepared me for the time I seen the casket being lowered into the ground. Then is when I truly realized I would not see him again in this life. I cried.

For many days after I was very distraught and constantly prayed to God to let me see him again just to say goodbye one more time. It was in this state that I approached God one more time and as I was praying I felt as if someone was talking to me. "Pat is fine. He is with me and doing the work I need him to do at this time." I can not explain why but immediately I felt calmed. I accepted wholeheartedly this explanation and even though I still might shed some tears I am very calm about where he is and why.

Many, many years later my wife and I were invited to San Diego, CA for a Denver Broncos and San Diego Charger football game. (Stupid Broncos lost) The people we were staying with had a daughter that came to visit at the same time and we met her family as well. She had a little 4 year old boy whom we found out had almost the same exact problem as Pat did. Because of medical advancements he had been operated on with no complications and a full life ahead of him. We couldn't help but feel that maybe Pat had something to do with this boy's success. Maybe the doctors learned from Pat and now knew how to correct the problem. It gives us some solace to think that way.

I have a new friend (I hope) name Lara who has been reading my blogs. Lara, I hope this story of Pat might help your father. I will admit that if it wasn't my faith in God I don't know how I would have responded to Pat's death.

As a side note. Cheryl and I never did get Pat to be potty trained. How it happened was through one of the nurses at the medical center. She was a large, but very loving, black lady and one day she looked at Pat and said, "Pat you are too big of a boy to be wearing diapers and I don't want to see them again." Immediately he stopped wearing diapers and never had a problem from that date forth.

1 comment:

Lowa said...

I already commented on another post. But yes, I think this will help my father. We also have a very strong faith and have commented all the time how we don't know how anyone could handle something like this without God.

Just like Lara, I am appalled at how on earth anyone could even THINK that your son being sick like that was because you were sinners?!?? HELLO!?!? WE ARE ALL Sinners. We sin every day.

Like you said, maybe your PW was born that way so the Docs could learn. I think my baby brother was supposed to go when he did, because God is rewarding him for all he did while he was here. He was in a wheelchair his whole life, could not speak verbally ro do much physically. But he touched many lives and can now run and play and talk all he wants to:) I wonder what he and PW are doing together??