Friday, December 30, 2005



This is our daughter Katherine and her latest family. This is truly his, hers and ours. I don't really know the children of her new husband because I have never met them. In fact I really don't know her new husband other than I have seen him but she seems to be happy so that is what counts. With this addition to the family we now have 20 grandchildren and two more on the way one of which will be a girl. Mercy, that makes me feel old and I am only ..9 years old.

Ah kids, you think when they leave home and are out on their own that you can sit back and pat yourself on the back for doing the job the best you could. Not true!! If I live to be a hundred (heaven forbid) the kids will always have problems and Mom and Dad will be involved in some way. The key is to not get too involved and let them work things out on their own. My oldest son, Kip, got so tired of Dad giving advice that he finally told me, "Dad, this is really none of your business." I felt like someone had slapped my face but it was good that he did that. Now I counsel with my wife as to how much we should be involved, if any at all, in their problems.

I love my kids, obviously, but they still produce grey hairs (or is it gray hairs). Tomorrow or on Monday I am going to start writing the saga of my son Kip. He is the oldest and he called Christmas day to ask when I was going to write about him. At least I know now that they are reading my writings. I told him I was saving the best for last. That kid has scars all over his body from his exploits.

I am surprised I have not had one comment about the upcoming football games. I just knew some of those Texans who read this would say something about USC who is going to do some serious damage to the Texas pride. Humph!!

Enough for today. Once New Years is over I should get back to telling more stories.

3 comments:

Lowa said...

Wow, I thought I had a busy life with 4 kids, I counted 10 in this picture!?!?!

Looking forward to hearing about Kip:)

No comment on football. Other than the fact that I dislike it a great deal.

Happy New Year!

Dana a/k/a Sunshine said...

I had to comment on the parents deal. You are right, no matter how old your kids get, they are still your kids. Also, no matter how old we children get, we still need our parents. Maybe some more than others, but we still need our parents. I know I do. On one hand, I get irritated that mom and dad try to still tell me what to do, but I do use them as a resource! Wow, love the picture of your daughter with the kids!!!

Barbara J. Wahlquist said...

It's been a long time since you had a new post. Wish I had your mailing address! Merry Christmas 2009 and Happy New Year.