Wednesday, April 05, 2006

The Little Things That Make You Happy

Have you ever noticed that it is not large, vibrant happenings that bring joy into your life, but rather it is small simple things that make everyday more enjoyable. For instance: I have not had high speed Internet since making our move and the dial up service just stinks. Right in the middle of something I would get disconnected or trying to make a connection took forever. Now I know many of you don't suffer from this kind of problem quite like I do but patience is not one of my strong virtues.

I have had MSN dial up for a couple of weeks which caused much sinning in the cussing department. One day, after a particular foul and agonizing session with dial up there came a card in the mail advertizing cable Internet at just $5.00 a month more. Like a cheetah after a deer I was on that phone and checking it out; all well worth it. You must remember that in a town like ours having some of the luxuries I have enjoyed in the past are not to be found. (No, not complaining, just commenting.)

Today the cable guy (I have not seen the movie so I hope I worded that right) came and I now have high speed Internet and it is one of those little things in my life that makes me a happier person. Know what I mean? I can now talk on the phone without shutting down the Internet, I can work on the Internet without missing important phone calls. Boy (and girl) am I happy.

I have finished my cousin's music recordings and must admit a big "Whew" went out of me. That was a lot of tapes. Now I can start on my own. For those of you who are Latter Day Saints may I suggest a couple of books on tape that you would thoroughly enjoy; "Bears and Prayers" about a man who was attacked by a grizzley while hiking, and, "Saints At War" about fellow members of the church who served in World War II. Of course there is always "Profile Of A Prophet" by Hugh B Brown, and, "Miracles" by Matthew Cowley. Not only would these be great to listen to for Latter Day Saints but those of other faiths as well. They are very uplifting messages.

It is now 10:30 in the morning and I am still trying to get the day started. The doctor told me to take it easy this week or I would tear things up so I am trying to do just that. Poor Cheryl is stuck with arranging the house but that is not a bad thing. I told her she could do whatever she wanted in the house but the outside was my baby. So if some "old" trees and bushes disappear she is not to say a word.

So much for my rambling this day. Have a nice day.

4 comments:

..................... said...

I remember those phone dial up days....slower than mollasses as was that old crappy computer that I first used when I started to go online.
...and take it easy..

Dana a/k/a Sunshine said...

Good to see you back too Irishman! Thanks for commenting on my blog today. I had forgotten you had talked about truck driving....yep, that was a sad case! I felt sorry for everyone involved - even the truck driver. He didn't mean to hurt anyone I'm sure....but he did :( And I can totally relate to your post about DSL or high speed internet - I am about to get on that highway myself. I still have dial up and its annoying the heck out of me. I got the DSL int he mail yesterday - finally, but no time to install it. I plan to do so this weekend. Its just been crazy. Well, I'll check back later.

MomR said...

I found you on Natasha's (my granddaughter) site. I read your profile. We are the same age and like the same music. How about that? Where did you graduate from high school? I will have my 45 anniversary this summer

MomR said...

Thanks for responding to my note. It sounds to me that we have just barely caught up to you. (in # of grandchildren) How many children do you have? We have 5 and also one great granddaughter who is 8 1/2 months old. What did you do in your medical occupation? I'm an RN; I graduated from Ricks School of Nursing 31 years ago and worked part-time at a hospital for 25 years. I'm also on medical retirement but am so much healthier now there is no comparison. They told me they would take me back after I was automatically terminated (when I felt like it) because I couldn't be back to work within six months after a total knee replacement because I healed too slowly because of my diabetes. Now that I'm feeling better I've got many other things I want and should do. I'm hoping that we may eventually go on a local mission, but I'm not there yet. (Wow that was a long one!) I also earmarked your blog.