Monday, April 03, 2006

Now I Can Return To Normalcy

I am back home and doing quite well and hoping I can get back to some resemblance of normalcy in my life. I want to thank all who wished me well during my surgery; it meant a lot to me.

The surgery: It went quite well and now I am waiting to see if I get the desired results. I did not have hardly any pain; in fact the most pain I endured was when the doctors were trying to give me a spinal block (or whatever they call it) and could not get the needle to go into my spine. Now that did hurt and hurt a quite a bit. They tried four times before giving up and putting me to sleep. The surgeon was hoping I would be awake so he could talk to me during the procedure.

I had excellent care. The nurses were some of the best I have ever experienced and all of them were very good looking. The first night after surgery I developed blood clots that plugged the tubes which were draining and flushing me. That caused a little stir amongst them as they all gathered to decide just what to do. I think they were selling tickets outside my room because I have never seen so many different nurses come knocking on the door.

I am quite a modest man and it bothers me a lot to be put in an immodest situation. After a while I just gave up and let them "all" raise my hospital gown and have a looksee. I still don't know why they left the room giggling. I started to get a complex after a while. I didn't see anything worth giggling over.

It is amazing how you find out who your friends are when you are sick or otherwise incapacitated. There is a family we have known for many, many years who came to visit and brought me a bouquet of flowers. Now these were not ordinary flowers and it took considerable time and effort to come up with the bouquet; tumbleweeds and dead rose stems with the thorns still attached. Oh, it is nice to know people think so lowly of you. If I live to be a 100 years old I will get even with that woman. Those flowers caused the nurses to giggle again. Some of them made the comment that they fit me. Where do people get these impressions of me?

Doctor told me my prostate was the size of an orange. Now I don't know if that is good or bad but I do know he took a golf ball sized portion out. Sarah, what is normal?

Cheryl is such a trooper. I begged her to go home and get some rest as well as something to eat but she would not. She slept in a chair next to me and we shared the hospital food. Her presence was comforting but I still worried about her.

Not much else to report so will be closing. When I am thinking about what to write on my blog I can come up with all sorts of things, but to set down and start writing they seem to fly out the window with the rest of my thoughts.

Hope everyone is having a great day. Byeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

2 comments:

..................... said...

glad all went well....
and hospitals are certainly not the place to try to maintain a sense of modesty...
those folks there think any of your body parts is a free for all..

Lowa said...

Glad you had an ok experience.

Lordy, if I had known they were going to try to stick a needle in your spine, I would have advised you against that. That is some of the worst pain EVER. The needle to "numb" it is about as bad as the dern needle in the back!!!

Those nurses must have been giggling soley to GIVE you a complex.

An orange, eh?? YIKES!

Keep us updated and write about anything you like. Head on over to my blog when you can and you will be filled in on how I am falling apart!