Wednesday, January 11, 2006

When I Was Four (I Think)



I seen this picture and just had to show it for all you ladies out there who feel this way on a given morning.

Cheryl and I have been house hunting and are about wore out from it. We did find a lovely home that is in our price range, now if we can just follow through with all the other charges. The day will be coming when I will not be blogging for a while due to moving and re-establishing my Internet connection. I am lost without my computer. Through all the days of unemployment and sickness and whatever it has been my sanity saver. I did build a doll house that had all the neighborhood looking in on me to see how I was doing with it. Turned out pretty darned nice, especially for me. Maybe I will post a picture of it.

Another story about ME, ME, ME, ME!!! I like ME, I am so wonderful.

When I was around the age of four or five I was living with my soon to be adopted family. Down the road a piece was a large gravel pit that the county had used when building roads. Of course a gravel pit make for great sledding in the winter so my friends, Dan and Irvin, and I took off for the pit to have a lot of fun. Fun it was. We had to be careful though because some of the area was very steep and we could get hurt, but being that young who thought about that.

The sled I was using was the old Red Ryder, or was it Red Flyer, version. Wooden boards to lay on and metal runners that you guided by turning a stick or shifting your body. On my sled a couple of boards had been broken and there was a piece sticking out the back that came to a point. As I started down the hill my sled suddenly veered off to the side and down the very steep part I went. When I hit the bottom the pointed end of the sled rammed itself into my right leg near the hip joint and tore out a chunk of my leg about 4 - 5 inches long. How I missed the artery is still a mystery.

I was bleeding very badly and could not walk so Irvin loaded me on his sled and drug me home; about a quarter of a mile. My adopted parents thought I had wet my pants and became quite angry about it. They tried to get my shoes off but the pain was so bad I couldn't handle it. Finally Irvin got their attention and everyone realized that it was blood they were seeing not urine. Down to the doctor I went and they had to cut my boots off as well as my pants. To this day I don't know how he stopped the bleeding and fixed the wound. I do know I have a very large scar about 5 inches long and about 1/2 inch wide.

I guess Kip is not the only one who has accidents, I just don't have as many.

Someone mentioned in their blog that they ought to start writing about their life experiences. The main reason for my blog is to create my life history, be that as it may, for my children to read and save in their genealogy if they wish. A few years ago I started writing my history and got as far as when I met Cheryl, I think, but then I stopped. All of the kids have asked me to continue writing my story since they found it interesting. Mike looked at me one day when I was telling some stories and said, "Man, Dad, you have done some neat things in your life and had a lot of fun." Well I don't know about the neat things but I have had some fun, not all of it on the up and up though.

My wife says my blogs are too long winded so I will try to make them shorter if I can. How do you stop an Irishman from sharing the blarney?

This is the dollhouse I made.

2 comments:

Alpha Male said...

Good Job on the Doll House ...But who really plays with it TIM?

Fried Lemon Pie said...

Beautiful doll house..I'm impressed.