Thursday, May 11, 2006

Horseshoes!! That is what she wants. Go figure. Cheryl called me today from our daughters and said she wanted a horseshoe set for mother's day. Not only does she want that but she went and got it herself to make sure she did get it. Now how many of you would ask for such a thing?

I know what will happen. She will challenge me to a game, then lose, then won't play again. To make her happy I will have to throw the game so she will feel she won. Sheesh, the things a man does to keep his woman happy.

The other night when we had a group over to our home and we were discussing past events in our lives, the question was posed; What things have you accomplished that you really wanted to that were not related to college or higher learning? For example I listed two things that I have accomplished without a higher education. 1. How to run a computer. I am self taught on these things. 2. I hold a private pilot license which I have not used since 1971 when our son died. I have always love airplanes but just don't have the money to fly one. Now there is a third one which has surprised everyone that I mention it to. 3. I taught myself to be friendly.

I can remember a time, not too long ago, when I would want nothing to do with anyone. If I could have lived the life of a hermit I would have been extremely happy. I did not like people, outside my wife and kids, at all. I literally had to teach myself to accept people and then the liking part sort of followed.

Cheryl had the hardest time getting me to go to a social function but we finally figured out why after many years. I have lost (according to a hearing doctor, quack, quack) 60% in one ear and (quack, quack) 70% in the other. When I am at a large gathering I am constantly asking Cheryl what is being said. That becomes embarrassing after a while and especially when you keep asking "what" to someone who is talking to you.

My family has all asked me to get a hearing aid but the doctor (quack, quack) said it wouldn't do any good. My hearing loss is due to nerve damage and hearing aids will not help. So if anyone writes something I don't like on my blog I just say I didn't hear that and I can get away with it.

I ask those of you who read this dribble; what have you accomplished in your life (non-educational) that you really wanted to? Seriously, I would like to know.

Oh, Schaumi I have agreed to cook the meals. Yes, I will clean up the dishes. Yes, I will spoil the woman rotten. Yes, I will pretend that I don't know what I am doing so she will help me. Oops didn't mean to let that out.

Have a nice day everyone.

P.S. Darla how old are you now? Mercy, the hills are not that old.:)

6 comments:

Tigersue said...

Yes I think I would like to hear about your miracle son.

clairesgarden said...

I agree with your difficulty in 'lots of people' situations, I am deaf on one side and friends do get fed up repeating stuff. I dont know what I've acheived, growing food, I love it, even if its inedible I just like to grow things.

..................... said...

Actually one year I asked for a sanding machine for mother's day...you know, one of those hand held sanders...
wonderful tool, I'm hoping to find it again when we get ready to move.

Alpha Male said...

You ask what have I accomplished without a formal education ? I too am self taught on the computer. Have learned not to get your hand infected..LOL That humor makes life easier when the going gets tough. And last of all how to deal with depression and it's effects.

..................... said...

And here are some things that I have accomplished without a formal education:
I ran a half marathon once (13 miles). I had only barely ever run two miles before that. I was verry, verry, verry sore the next day. I've traveled extensively. I blog.

Dana a/k/a Sunshine said...

Hi Tim! Its been forever since I have perused other blogs. Sorry for not visiting sooner - its been crazy busy. Trying to catch up. You should spoil Cheryl tomorrow! What have I accomplished? Well, first of all, I should say anything I accomplish has been with God's help. When I was in college (my first through 3rd years), I tried out and made the men's soccer team at my college. They didn't have a women's team at the time so I thought - i want to play so I'll try out for the men's team. I did and made it and even got to play for a bit in a few games. (I was good, but not THAT good) Also, I was on the State Select soccer team in high school for the State of Oklahoma. (one of 18 girls picked from the state to represent the state)
Also, I guess the raising of my son (alone for the past 8 years since my ex husband walked out)and seeing what a great, compassionate and loving kid he is. That is the biggest accomplishment of all :)