Tuesday, May 23, 2006

The other day a group of us were visiting and one of the gals had on a beautiful diamond ring that must have cost a fortune. Everyone was oohing and awwing over it and it reminded me of the first wedding ring I got Cheryl.

Cheryl and I eloped, for reasons that I don't care to discuss, let's just say her family was a little ornery. We were living in Ohio at the time and we headed for Idaho. We stopped at Joliet, Illinois to get something to eat and while there we spied a jewelry store. Being young and adventurous we went in to see how much a wedding ring would cost.

The lady proudly brought out her tray that had rings priced from $500 to over $1000. I must have about choked and passed out at the prices and sensing that something was wrong she said, "Well, I have some CHEAPER ones." She brought out a tray that held rings priced from $100 to just under $500. Again I must have had a look of pure horror 'cause she then said, "I DO have a bargain tray that is under $100. She brought that tray out and sure enough the prices were $50 to just under $100. Once again the look must have been there because she asked in a not so kind way, "Just HOW much were you planning on spending?" My reply, "$10.00" Now who had the look on her face? She finally gave us a $50.00 ring for $10.00 and that has meant more to my wife through all these years than any expensive ring I could have purchased.

I keep telling her I don't need a ring to know I am married and truth be known I have never worn a ring because of large hands and working in environments that prevented rings from being worn.

Finally passed all my written tests for my CDL now I have to take the skills tests at the tune of $50.00 each. Wonder if I can bargain with them?

Just finished watching the movie "Shane". Good movie starring Alan Ladd and his son. His son was dorky to say the least. The movie was filmed in my home area but on the Wyoming side of the mountain. So if anyone wants to see the country I grew up in then watch the movie "Shane". Of course if you have ever seen pictures of the Grand Teton Mountains in Wyoming that little speck way up there is me waving at the camera. (I wish)

I guess I believe in saving the worst for last some times. As I have mentioned before I have fixed seven of the eight sprinkler lines in our yard. The last one is a doozy. I fixed one portion that had a six foot broken pipe and just discovered another section that has a 16 foot broken piece. I am feeling like a mole and my yard looks like it too.

Gosh, I can't think of any thing to say about Texas or Canada so I guess I will close.

Have a nice day everyone.

6 comments:

Fried Lemon Pie said...

Moles are cute...not not the big ones in Texas. (There, I took care of your Texas slam for you)

Fried Lemon Pie said...

Hey!!! Whatever happened to you posting your photo in your profile?? And let me know when you wanna change your links from "edit me" to something useful, like Canadian news. Heeheehee.

Fried Lemon Pie said...

Drunk commenting is fun...

Lowa said...

There is lots to say about Canadians. Lots of NICE THINGS:) Just ask me next time you are stumped, I will help you:)

How is young Rylie doing?? Settling in at home nicely??

Sorry about your yard and all the head ache of dealing with that!

I have a nice ring my hubby got me for Valentine's Day. It is GORGEOUS and looks like a HUGE diamond. I think it was around $20, he ordered it from Avon, just like I asked him to. See no point in spending enough money to feed a small country on something as silly as a diamond. Right??

..................... said...

My husband has never bought me a diamond.......I told him not too.

clairesgarden said...

thats a nice story about your ring, and its treasured too. hope you get your final pipe fixed, it should grow over soon!