Monday, February 27, 2006

My First Try At Cooking



Well it is getting close to that time of year again when the boat must take to the water. We took a drive past the old fishing hole the other day and found it still has a lot of ice over it. However the nice weather we are having gets the old fishing blood flowing.

I got to thinking the other day about the time I tried my hand at cooking some pancakes for the first time. I was about 16 years old and had been hired to campjack for a sheep outfit for the summer. Campjacking is being the slave to the sheepherder but is a great life if you can get along with cantakerous sheepherders. You get to live in the mountains for the summer however this sheepherder was so onery that I only lasted about a week.

Anyway, we got up the first morning and he told me to cook some pancakes and eggs while he went and checked the sheep to see if they were all right. No problem. You just take some flour, mix water with it and presto, you have pancakes. Wellllllll, not quite so fast there sonny boy. When he came back I proceeded to cook those pancakes. They were so pale white that the snow was yellow beside them and for some reason they would not cook up. He asked me what I did and when I told him he about busted a gut laughing. Several years later he seen me in a group setting and just had to tell the story and finish with, "We had to beat the dogs to make them eat those pancakes." Very funny. I am happy to report that I am a much better cook now, thank you very much.

We went out to the town where we hope we are moving and visited the church there to see what the people were like. Very nice and friendly. One lady got me good though. I like to pull peoples legs a little especially when they don't know me. She asked me where we were coming from and I told her that I had just been released from prison. Unbeknown to me my wife was behind me rolling her eyes and the lady caught on very quickly. "Well," she said. "My husband and I are here under the witness protection program." Dumb me, "You are!" I got suckered in on that one hook, line and sinker. I will keep my eye on that woman from now on, she is sharp.

Time to close. Hope everyone had a nice weekend. Have a nice day.

2 comments:

Hope said...

She gotcha good. You may have met your match.

fishondude said...

I've seen that guy fishing in a mud hole in South Carolina.