Wednesday, February 01, 2006



No!! This is not a self portrait of me. Let's get that little mis-understanding corrected right now. This is a picture my friend Iowamom sent me and I thought it was very funny. Cheryl and I used to belong to TOPS and it would be very appropriate there.

I want to thank Luce and Lowa for responding to my computer needs. It will be a few days before I try anything and then see how it goes.

Today I wished I had magical abilities then I would be able to fix Cheryl's problem. My sweetheart fell yesterday and banged her leg up quite badly. She is using my cane or the crutches to get around, popping pain pills to ease the pain and waiting to make an appointment with the doctor, which will be a joke in its own right. (I have lost all faith in todays doctors)

We went to the Legacy House yesterday to play bingo, the first time we have ever played bingo, and as we were leaving she stepped off the curb the wrong way which started the whole chain of events. For years I have wondered about my wife and her ability to fall so easily. There were times she would be walking down a hallway and just trip. Good old me, I would get angry from frustration and start saying things that I should not. I have never been one to have a problem with my balance and so I don't appreciate what she has to deal with. My face turned even redder when we discovered she has Parkinson disease and that stumbling and falling is a normal thing with the disease. Now I am a lot more empathetic. Yesterday all I said was, "My hell, Cheryl are you all right?" Now that is a marked improvement from the past.

It really pains me to see my wife in any kind of discomfort. She is an unbelievably good person and I guess I feel she should be exempt from those kind of things. Actually what it is, I am afraid she won't be able to feed me and that causes REAL CONCERN. She tells me I have a long way to go to be a good caregiver. Now why would she say that? I turn on the TV (with the remote and NO she is not allowed to touch it), I show concern when she forgets to bring my drink, I only make her clean the toilet once in a while whether she is crippled or not. A man must have a clean pot to p in. ( I didn't really say that did I?)

When she was pregnant and delivering one of our children the doctor and I were talking about hunting and she was so rude about it. She wanted gas to help with her pain right in the middle of our conversation. We looked at her and said, "Be quiet woman, we are busy right now." Nah, I actually took her hand and told her to just think of me and the pain would go away.

I took her horse back riding for her first time and as she was riding the horse decided to lay down right in the middle of a stream. I was laughing so hard I couldn't speak. She was screaming, "What do I do? What do I do?" All I could say was, "Get off." For some reason she didn't appreciate my advice.

Got to go. Got the breakfast call.

4 comments:

Dana a/k/a Sunshine said...

OUCH - I hope your wife is OK. That does not sound like fun. I too seem to lose my balance easily and I trip and fall all the time. I am just clumsy I guess cause so far no conditions that make me do that.

I LOVED your cartoon or picture you posted with the donkey. Boy is that true. Only for me, its not just the refrigerator, but the pantry, the cabinets, etc, or in reference to my last post (you'll have to check that out) the locked safe!

Hope said...

Any day with laughter is a great day. Thanks for making my day.

..................... said...

Ooh, I hope Cheryl's leg heals quickly.

Holly said...

I just feel bad about Aunt Cheryl falling and how ironic that Mom fell too. It's not making me look forward to the future at all I already suffer from arthritis which I think is unfair to get it so early in my life but what else is new nothing else was ever fair to me either. But You have the nack for finding humor in everything just like my Dad you use yourself as the joke. And recently found that Uncle Matt has the same sense of humor. I look forward to reading my family's blogs everyday and get a kick out of the comments especially the last ones you and Uncle Matt left on Dad's Blog I was practically rolling on the floor. Tell Aunt Cheryl I will Pray for her too. sheshh my prayer list keeps getting longer and longer everyday.